Chapter Eighty Five: Something He Should Express More.. (3)

Start from the beginning

"Of course, who likes seeing it? The scar you got for saving another woman?"

"But... This is because of you, Chloe."

"What? What do you mean?"

Chloe asked as if telling him to say it again.

She thought he was blaming her for letting him get hurt even after having a precognitive dream. Of course, he wouldn't do that.

"It's true that I went to save the Archduchess then, but I never thought I'd be stabbed."

"?"

"I stepped in because, obviously, I had the confidence to overpower them. Just because I got shot by an arrow, my swordsmanship skill wouldn't waver."

What was the point of telling her this? Chloe looked ridiculously at Gerard, who puffed out his chest proudly.

She wondered where Abel's bravado came from, but they were father and son after all.

"The reason I was stabbed was because I looked away for a moment."

"...Huh?"

"Someone looked at me as if she was going to cry at any moment, and she was quite pretty like that. I was distracted by her."

"...So it was me?"

"Yes, my Lady."

"Ha."

She laughed at the absurdity.

"You were moderately pretty."

"You're really..."

Chloe snorted in exasperation. She wondered if this was always her husband's nature.

Gerard stared lovingly at her. She looked lovely no matter what, and that was a problem.

He lifted his hand to brush away the hair covering his wife's forehead.

"Part of me wishes to erase all the pain I caused you with the Archduchess."

Gerard kissed Chloe's forehead, like a symbol of covenant.

"However, I can't. So, I'll try even harder."

There was nothing wrong with trying to protect love or struggling because of love. However, the first thing to do was to understand what the other person truly wanted.

Gerard knew now.

"Let me apologize to you for the rest of my life by your side. No, for eternity."

His affectionately obsessive gaze fell upon Chloe's face and traced her forehead, eyes, cheeks, nose, and mouth.

It was an apology-like confession that she was the only one for him.

***

The Anata mansion in the capital.

The Archduke and his wife were still in the Capital. Frederick had come to the Capital to finalize the road project with the Imperial Family.

In the meantime, Leila had been unable to leave the mansion.

The security of the mansion had become tight, and the number of employees had increased significantly. They prepared for any escape attempt, not an outside invasion.

It was a cage set for her.

"Derrick, we have to talk."

Leila stopped Frederick from leaving the mansion.