Chapter 14: The Battle

Edmund ran up to me. "They they are!" He shouted.

I peered down the hill and across the field. The Witch's troups were becoming visible as they drew closer.

"There's so many, more than we accounted for," I stated. Worry making my hands start to shake.

Edmund sighed. "Come on, Pete," he whispered.

A horn sounded. The army was closing in.

Peter looked back at us from down front.

Edmund and I nodded to him. Peter drew his sword and pointed it at the approaching army. The Narnia horn blew its triumphant notes, and the army yelled as they drew their weapons.

They enemy began to charge. The Witch, a loft in her battle wagon pulled by two polar bears, she sat and watched as her army flooded around her and ran at the Narnians.

Edmund drew his sword. I followed his lead and drew my own. My red dress was blazing in the sun. The golden crest of Aslan shining on my chest plate.

Wait for the signal.

Peter waved his sword, calling for the griffins.

I sped down the other side of the hill where they waited.

"Go!" I yelled.

The griffins shot into the sky with their boulders held tightly in their claws.

I ran back up the hill and rejoined Edmund.

We watched in awe as griffins flew over the Witch's army and dropped the boulders onto the soldiers.

It wasn't much, but it helped.

"For Narnia! And for Aslan!" Peter yelled. His unicorn reared up, and then the Narnian Army charged.

The two armies crashed into each other. And the fight began.

"Now?" Edmund whispered.

"Give it a second," I whispered back.

We waited for the right moment. And it came when the Witch's wagon began to roll toward the battle.

"Now, Ed," I whispered.

Edmund rasied his sword. "Fire!" He ordered.

A lady centar aimed her bow to the sky and fired an arrow that made a bright flash.

I high-pitched bird call sounded. The arrow signaled the Phoenix to do its job.

The bird ignited and flew down in front of the Witch's army. It set the ground alight, and flames erupted into a wall of fire.

The Witch's army stopped advancing, and the Narnians cheered.

But it didn't last.

I gasped as the Witch used her wand's power to kill the flames. She rode through like the fire had only been a pebble on her rode to victory.

"What now?" I hissed. This wasn't looking good.

"I don't know," Beaver sighed.

Suddenly, a rapid series of notes sounded in the air.

The fallback signal!

"That's the signal! Come on!" Beaver ordered.

Edmund and I followed the rest of our group back down the hill to the bolder infested part of the field.

We ran to our advantage point with the main group of archers.

Soon after, the rest of the Narnian army came running in. The Witch's band flooding in behind them.