Chapter 8: We meet Saint Nickolas

The group had awoken early. They ate a rushed breakfast and set out for Aslan's camp.

Through the mountains and a large wood, they walked. Now, they were headed across a flat snow-covered stretch of land. A large forest lay aways ahead.

"What's your favorite color?" Susan asked. We'd just begun asking each other questions to distract ourselves from our sore feet.

"Well, I love blue. And green, so I guess those are my favorite. "

Susan nodded approvingly. "So what's your favorite color?" I asked with a grin.

"I like maroon, burgundy, coral... but my favorite is dark purple," she answered.

"Well, I like pink," said Lucy. She butted in between us, and we laughed at her sudden appearance.

"Pink is lovely," I agreed. I looped my arm through Lu's, and we walked cheerily, Lucy giggled as Susan linked arms on her other side.

"Come on, humans! While we're still young!" Beaver encouraged us.

I rolled my eyes. But I was smiling. So far, the bossy beaver hasn't ruined my good attitude yet.

Lucy let go of us and tried to walk faster.

I shivered and wished for a warm fire.

"If he tells us to hurry one more time -" Peter began. He picked Lucy up to let her ride on his back.

"I'll turn him into a big fluffy hat," Peter stated.

We all laughed at the ridiculous comment.

Not a minute later.

"Hurry up! Come on!" Beaver urged us.

"He is getting a little bossy," Lucy muttered.

Alice agreed.

"No! Look behind you! It's her!" Mrs Beaver yelled.

Our heads turned quickly to see a sleigh rushing towards us in the distance.

Horror filled me at the thought of seeing the white witch again.

Susan grabbed my arm and pulled me along as we ran.

Peter set Lucy down and held her hand. They ran a few feet behind us.

Alice ran for her life, the winter air stinging her lungs as her legs struggled to keep going.

Then Alice saw the forest up ahead. A few yards later, and they were in the trees, racing down a small hill and squeezing into a small cave in the hill.

They listened quietly as the sleigh stopped. Footsteps approached the top of the hill, right above the children. A few bits of snow fell from the edge and landed near Alice's feet.

She squeezed her eyes shut and tried to imagine she was safe at home. With her mum and dad.

She wished for that kind lion who had helped her after she got cursed by the white witch's wand. Surely, even a witch would be scared of such a big lion.

Then, the footsteps retreated away. Leaving a spark of hope in their hearts, they would survive this whole ordeal.

"Maybe... she's gone?" Lucy whispered.

Peter glanced at me, then spoke. "I suppose I'll go and check," he decided.

I was about to protest, but Mr. Beaver beat me to it. "No, you're worth nothing to Narnia dead," he stated. He stepped forward, ready to see if it was safe

"Well, neither are you beaver!" Mrs beaver despaired.

"Thanks, sweetheart," he told his wife.

Mrs beaver looked very frightened as her husband stepped out of their hiding spot and disappeared up the hill.