Chapter 4

Soundtrack for Episode:

Cedro flew back to Esmeralda's nest in deepening indigo twilight, thoughts in a flurry after his run-in with Rincón. A female Harris's Hawk who didn't care about consorts, or pecking orders, or packs! It was unfathomable. And the gemstones...he'd never seen such vibrant colors in rocks before. They were stunning.

He stashed the turquoise Rincón had given him in a high rock crevice before returning to Esmeralda. He knew he should give it to her-she was still his Alpha, In spite of Rincón's protests. But he couldn't bear to part with it yet. Maybe once she officially made him a consort, he'd present her with it as a gift.

And then again, maybe not. He was allowed to have some things just for himself, right?

Esmeralda, Trueno, and Agudo were all at the nest when he arrived. Esmeralda was back to brooding the eggs, while Trueno and Agudo hovered on either side. The trio were talking loudly and laughing.

A pang shot through Cedro. They were a family. Even if they were open and friendly with him, he would always be an outsider. It would only worsen when there were two chicks to raise that weren't his. He wanted so desperately to belong, but moments like this made him feel that he never would. Was that why Rincón's offer was so enticing?

Their laughter died when he landed quietly on the edge of the nest, and Cedro looked up to meet three frosty gazes. Trueno ambled forward, his bulk making the nest shudder slightly with each step, "Where have you been?" He growled.

"I went out for a patrol and got delayed on the edge of our territory. I had to chase some ravens off another hawk."

Esmeralda narrowed her eyes, "Another hawk? Who?"

"Her name was Rincón. She runs a mine-"

"Oh, I know who she is. You're letting the ravens have her next time, Cedro. She's a charlatan and a cheat, and her gemstones are ugly. In fact, I'm ordering you never to speak to her again."

Cedro remembered Rincón's story about Esmeralda, and resisted asking her why she'd once tried to buy Rincón's gemstones if she thought they were ugly, "She needed help, Esmeralda. Those ravens-"

"Do not dispute me. I gave you an order."

Cedro hesitated for a moment, and Trueno tensed his muscles. Agudo let out a low, threatening hiss, "Yes, ma'am," Cedro said quickly, taking a small step backward.

"Good," Esmeralda dipped her head, and both Trueno and Agudo relaxed, "We don't have time for trouble with ravens right now, anyway. Not with two chicks on the way."

She stood, "You're on brooding duty for tonight, Cedro. One of us will relieve you in the morning. Agudo, Trueno, come with me."

The trio flew off, and Cedro sighed and settled onto the nest. The night was already growing chilly, in spite of the warmth of the day, and he fluffed his feathers out against the cold. It was going to feel like centuries before he saw the sun again.

Trying not to wonder how warm mines were, Cedro tucked his head under his wing and willed himself to sleep.

He promised himself he would obey Esmeralda's order when he woke up, stiff and half-frozen, the next morning

He promised himself he would obey Esmeralda's order when he woke up, stiff and half-frozen, the next morning. Trueno arrived in the rosy pink predawn light to shoo him off the nest and send him on patrol. The flying both helped warm him and clear his head. This was his pack, his family-he'd chosen to join them and they'd accepted him. With time, he'd become one of them. No sense thinking about gemstones, mines, or a hawk who had chosen a trade.

But Saturday, Esmeralda sent him out hunting alone and boxed him on the side of the head when all he came back with was a half-grown garter snake.

Sunday and Monday, he sat on the nest all day, almost tearing out his feathers in boredom. Agudo brought him half a rabbit carcass only once, and it was largely picked over.

Tuesday he was initially relieved to go on patrol with Trueno, but after hours of hearing the first consort discuss his various victories in sparring matches when he was younger, Cedro started wishing he was back with the eggs. At least they didn't brag.

Not yet, anyway.

Wednesday, he was cleaning the nest when Agudo tackled him and knocked him all the way to the ground with a gleeful screech. He took off before Cedro could even ask why.

That night, perched alone at the top of a cactus, Cedro knew he couldn't make it any longer. He needed a break from his pack.

He woke up early on Thursday morning, before the sun had even crested the horizon. The desert light was soft and grey, with just enough visibility to avoid crashing into obstacles. He stretched his wings and looked back at the nest for a moment. Esmeralda was sitting on the eggs, head under her wing, still asleep. Trueno and Agudo were perched above her, backs to him, unmoving. None of the trio reacted as he jumped off his cactus and flew away as silently as he could.

Cedro breathed out a sigh of relief as he got some distance. He'd be missed, certainly, but he could probably come up with an excuse for his absence. Maybe he could go hunting after he saw Rincón. Or bring Esmeralda a gift back from the market to appease her.

He increased his speed and headed west as the sun began to rise.

—————————————————————————
Poor Cedro. No one likes to be the third (or fourth) wheel.

An interesting fact I just learned-Harris's Hawks typically breed in the spring, like many other species. But sometimes they'll have two or three clutches a year. That means they can be nesting/raising chicks year-round, which I thought was super interesting! Chicks from one clutch also sometimes stick around for up to three years to help raise their younger siblings.

Thanks as always for reading! This chapter marks the halfway point for Cedro and Rincón's origin story. Stick around until the end-I'm planning a fun surprise to celebrate!

Music Credit: Western Story, Marc Torch