X - Carnations in the Alley

When the crunching wheels of his wagon rolled to a stop, Edgar watched as Kent helped himself down from the front bench. They'd sat alongside one another the entire ride, not a word having passed between them during the journey.

As the sun had settled beneath the horizon by this time, the darkness seemed to enhance as thundering clouds rolled in from the East. The world looked a lot like it had on the night they'd first met, and while that was a wretched realization that'd come to either of them during the several minutes of travel, it was kept to themselves — the memories, the regretful and wretched feelings.

At the head curve of the road that led directly for the front steps of the place where he'd grown up, Kent looked upon the familiar manor. It was rich in both appearance and history. The place housed all of his past memories; the good and the bad.

When Kent blinked, the estate looked much like the downsized dwelling he'd come from across Winterbourne, and at the top of the stairs he could see Edgar waiting for him with an outstretched hand, but as he blinked, the flicker faded, and the Everleigh manor returned with its dark entry and looming uncertainty.

There was still time...He'd yet to be noticed.

Pushing his hesitancy aside, Kent descended from the wagon and looked toward Edgar, hands down at his sides and he lowered his head as if giving thanks to a lord of higher status. "I thank you for caring for me, for allowing me to call your home my own for what days you permitted."

Another thanks wished to rise from Kent's mouth, but the intense burn building up in the back of his throat stopped it, as if it were his own doing to stop from making this harder than it already was by expanding on how grateful he was.

As their eyes met again, the coldness of Edgar's eyes seemed to be a default to the kind of man he presented himself as, but there surely was a strain behind them. He was brooding and daunting at first glance, and although he looked more like he was on the verge of cursing Kent for this decision he was about to make, Edgar's curses were saved for himself. Is it not I who is so cowardly? Edgar pondered and swallowed what more he could say until it struck the pit of his stomach. He felt witless for having loved this way.

Since it seemed they hadn't more to say to one another, Kent took a small step back, and said, "Be safe on your journey home. Goodbye, Edgar."

Edgar only nodded in return.

Turning from the wagon, Kent climbed the several steps to the double doors of the manor. After knocking, he peered over his shoulder to see that Edgar was still sitting there, not looking his way, but he seemed to be waiting for something.

After a moment, the entry doors opened into a spacious foyer, and Kent looked upon the puzzled face of a familiar footman with tired eyes. "Lord Kent," he said in bewilderment. "You have returned?!"

Kent would have been more confused as to why it appeared this man thought he'd simply walked away from the household, but his dejections were too focused on Edgar and why he had yet to begin his journey home.

When he looked over his shoulder again, Edgar remained unmoved, like he'd never go even if it were ordered of him.

What was he waiting for?

Suddenly pulled by the cuff of his forest green shirt, Kent stumbled into the manor and the door was shut behind him. "We must report to your parents," the footman insisted, hurrying Kent through the long, plentiful corridors until reaching the hall in which the dining room was situated.

He was afraid, unnerved by the prospect of being perceived by his parents, especially his father who'd done the most damage to his heart. How was he to face the man?