Chapter XII - Voices From The Void

_______

7:30 am

Afton Robotics factory felt oddly abandoned this morning, despite it being a normal workday like any other. No one was in the lobby besides a single receptionist, & even she didn't seem very invested in whatever she was currently doing, would even yawn behind the palm of her hand before she noticed Lily enter through the large automatic doors, announcing her arrival with a melodious chime that echoed in the silence.

" Good morning, Miss Aalefjær! I have to say, we didn't expect you until tomorrow! "
The lady rocketed up from her chair like she had just seen a celebrity walk in, suddenly wide awake & wearing an even wider smile on her face.
" How can I help you? "

Lily approached the front desk, the gurgling from the water fountain right behind increasing in volume.
" Good morning. I apologize for my early appearance, but I'm here for personal matters...
If somehow possible, I'd like to speak to Mr. Afton. Is he at the factory today? "

The lady looked somewhat surprised & quickly threw a pondering glance at the big clock above the entrance door before she responded.
" Yes. He got here no more than an hour ago & should still be in his office before the workers arrive. If you wish, I can give him a call right away & inquire about his availability ~ "

" That would be most helpful, thank you... "
Withdrawing with a final nod of gratitude she took a seat in one of the luxurious lounge chairs that adorned the lobby, the leather squeaking softly under her weight. She was unexpectedly anxious this morning & - given the circumstances that had led to her coming here in the first place - almost dreading a conversation with Mr. Afton.
Her head, throbbing with dozens of questions & surreal images last night had given birth to, sat heavy on top of her shoulders, & in the pits of her stomach a knot was beginning to form its way into existence.

By now there were simply too many things that did not sit right with her:

Mangle moving on its own, followed by the bizarre story of his deceased wife & Afton claiming to have captured her soul in it. That ominous purple light & the animatronic emerging from it; the same animatronic that had officially become a part of her own nightmares. The mere fact that Mr. Afton already knew about her intentions regarding her search for her brother. That, as well as his knowledge regarding her being a sleepwalker - a fact of which Lily herself had been absolutely oblivious until the previous night...
And last but not least - his quite palpable, unfathomable admiration towards her.
Something about all this felt very wrong to Lily. Misplaced. It was like looking at a finished jigsaw puzzle depicting a beautiful & aesthetically pleasing image, except numerous puzzle pieces - although displaying the right patterns to form the final picture - did not fit each other, no matter their position. Like they were never meant for this particular puzzle to begin with...

How can something feel so sincere, so right, yet indisputably wrong, at the same time?

Running a nervous hand through her long unbraided hair she sank deeper into the lounge chair, almost tempted to fall asleep right at the spot. After her fever dream encounter with the animatronic from Afton's mansion, followed by the disturbing revelation through Mrs. Griffin going back to sleep had been simply impossible, the result being hours spent in bed with a head aching with questions, eluded by sleep.
If the next night was destined to follow a similar pattern, her first day at Afton Robotics would undoubtedly become a challenge in more than just one way...

" Miss Aalefjær? " The receptionist's voice echoed loud in the empty, spacious lobby. Lily peered up to find her leaning over the painstakingly polished front desk, pushing up her glasses with the tip of her index finger.
" Mr. Afton is available & most pleased to see you in his office. You will find it on the top floor, East Wing, room number 87. Would you like for me to escort you there? "