Chapter 5. Hot-Headed Believer

~

Harry's POV

"Mate, we have to get you out of the house. You can't keep sitting here like this." Niall says, watching me bounce my leg from anxiety.

"I can't, Ni. She told me they would be coming in the next few days with the papers. I asked you to come stay here so I could have some support." My tone is snippier than I intended due to that anxiety. I follow it up with a, "sorry."

He lets out a big sigh and scratches his head in thought, something he's done for as long as I've known him. "I get that but H, sitting around and wallowing isn't going to make them come any faster. This is my way of trying to support you. It's been less than 24 hours since she told you, so I don't think they are going to come right away. Plus, I'm hungry and you have nothing good in your fridge."

"There's Willow's Eggo waffles in there. Why can't you just have that?"

"I'm 29. I'm not eating your 4 year old's Eggo waffles. She would never forgive me and I don't feel like being scolded the next time I see her." It's a valid point. She would never forgive Uncle Ni if she found out he stole her waffles. "I'm just saying, I think it would be good for you to get out of this house. We can go to the diner, and you can order that big breakfast you love."

4 years ago

"H, I'm pregnant. How are you ordering a bigger breakfast than me?" Jane says after the waiter walks away.

"Love, don't shame me. I'm hungry and I worked hard this week," I respond playfully.

"Hey, I don't mind if you build a dad bod to go with the crib in the nursery." A wide smirk graces her face. I scoff and smirk back in response. "I'm just saying, I'm eating for two here, so I thought I would be the one to order the whole menu."

"I didn't order the whole menu. I only ordered two eggs, bacon, two biscuits, and a pancake."

"Only?!" She giggles. A noise that is music to my ears and makes me laugh back at her.

"Only." I say in confirmation. Her face goes stark white and her eyes wide, causing my smile to fall. "What's wrong?"

"Don't freak out, but we might have to get that order to go."

"What? Why? What did you forget you had to do?" She doesn't respond, like she's become frozen in time. "J, you not responding is freaking me out. What's going on?"

Tears pool in her eyes. "H, I think my water just broke."

I laugh, she would be five weeks early. We haven't even packed the hospital bag, so she has to be messing with me. "Very funny."

Her expression of horror doesn't change. "H, I'm not kidding."

My laugh quickly dissipates. "You're not?"

"No, I'm not."

"Okay, it's okay." Her hands start to tremble and I pull a 100 dollar bill out of my wallet, placing it on the table. "J, we've got this. Other than going to the hospital, what do you need?" I stand up and take her hand in mine to help her stand up as well.

"Can you call my mom?" She asks, tears now actively flowing.

"I can do that. Can I do it when we get to the car?" The effort to control my own internal freak out is proving difficult, but I know she needs me to remain calm right now.