••••《 5 - Counterbalance 》

Start from the beginning

"Well, let me get you in on starting prices-" The man begins, I stop him though.

"I actually was just coming to look. I- uh- don't think this is right for me? At least not now." I try to explain. "But this is a super nice place and I'll keep it on my radar." The man's face slightly drops, but he tries to stay positive.

"Okay, well, hopefully it becomes the right thing soon! Cobra Kai can help with all sorts of problems!" He exclaims. I nod, looking over at Miguel one more time. I give him a slight nod and then walk out, heading back to the car where Sam no longer is.

▪︎

Scene Two – In the lunchroom: ☆

I listen as Kyler continues to make fun of Sam, spreading rumor after rumor. She grows angry and storms off. She looked as if she was about to punch him right in the face. I continue to pick at my lunch, only growing more miserable. It's then that Kyler comes over to me, sitting down and putting his hand on my thigh. I move my leg, shaking his hand off.

"Oh, come on! You know I'm still upset about all of this Sam stuff." He says, pretending to be sad.

"It doesn't give you a free pass." I mutter as he puts his arm around me, ignoring what I said. "Not now, Kyler." I mumble. He continues to ramble on, making me feel bad about myself and making up excuses on how he can keep harassing me. He won't leave me alone. I stand up out of instinct. I'm stressed, I'm upset, and I want him off of me. He stands up.

"Yo, no need to start freaking out-" He scoffs. I take a deep breath and nod along.

"I know, I'm sorry. I'm just feeling off..." I explain as he tries to come closer again.

"Leave her alone." Someone calls out – I immediately recognize the voice though, it's Miguel. I turn my head, as does Kyler. I feel petrified, whereas Kyler is already laughing his ass off. "I mean it. She doesn't want you messing with her. Can't you take a hint?"

"Do you want another beat down, 'Rhea?" Kyler asks. He looks at me and then Miguel. "Seems like you love protecting little Rosey here... I'm ready for your lame-ass karate yet again."

"It's not lame-ass karate-" Miguel says but is cut off by Kyler pushing him. He doesn't let that stop him. He gets right back up. "It's Cobra Kai." Miguel goes into a punch, hitting Kyler which causes him to get a nosebleed. Kyler wipes his nose, as Miguel pulls me over and puts me behind him. "Stay put and be careful." He tells me before Kyler pushes him into a lunch table, putting Miguel into a chokehold. Miguel elbows Kyler, causing Kyler to let go. He punches Kyler, then kicking him in the back. Kyler eats shit, hitting the edge of a lunch table. Another kid goes in for a punch, but Miguel suddenly ducks, then kicking and tripping him. It's as if he just sensed him. A kid then grabs Miguel from behind, pulling him back, but Miguel elbows him as well, then kicking the kid out of sight.

Complete chaos breaks out as students watch and record, and all of Kyler's goons go after Miguel. Miguel slides a chair to one, stopping them and then begins hitting others with a lunch tray. He jumps up onto a table and smacks Kyler in the face with the tray. Everyone cheers as all of the bullies are now on the ground. Miguel looks over at me, but his victory doesn't last long... a teacher catches him.

▪︎

Scene Three – The end of the day: ☆

I tell Moon that I have somewhere to be after school and she can leave without me, ridding me from having to be around Yasmine any longer. In reality, I'm hoping to find Miguel. I speedwalk my way out of the school, looking for him anywhere I think he'd be. The crowd begins dying down, and right before I give up my search, I spot him walking away from the building. I run my way through the crowd and begin yelling after him, hoping he'll hear me. I begin to catch up to him right as he stops and turns around to face me.

"Oh... Rosey!" He smiles slightly.

"I'm surprised you're here... you didn't get sent home?" I ask, he shakes his head.

"No, my Ya-Ya answered the phone. She was proud of me and told the principal it wasn't fair because it was technically self-defense – which is true." Miguel shrugged. "I don't think Kyler will get in trouble, but at least I'm not the one suffering... Either way though, I'm glad I beat him up."

"Thank you by the way." I say suddenly. "For helping me... I obviously didn't know how to help myself there." He looks at me, then down at his feet.

"It's no problem. I wanted to look out for you and make him stop." He explains, shrugging. I nod.

"I was wondering, is your dojo still possibly looking for students?" I ask, Miguel flings his head up in my direction and looks at me.

"Yes-" He says, both confused and shocked. "Why?"

"I was thinking maybe it wouldn't hurt to learn some self-defense... Just in case the stuff with Kyler keeps happening." I tell him. "I'm still going to be around him and I want to be able to look out for myself... Though it was nice having my own night in shining armor." I chuckle, Miguel does as well.

"Well, I'm about to head to the dojo if you maybe wanted to come along!" He suggests. I feel a smile creep up on my face.

"That sounds wonderful."