zero

On Halloween of 1981, Sirius Black didn't return home. He left the flat, the same way he always did when he went to check up on Pettigrew. Wand in his back pocket, the Sirius black attitude in his walk, his hair falling in ripples around his shoulders. Nothing about him indicated that this would be the last time Lilith black would ever see him again. that this was the last time in his life he'd walk as a free man.

Lilith waited. Like any other night. She read to fill the time, her eyes darting across the pages, the corner of the page between her middle and index finger, her lip jutted out and eyes in a concentrated glare. But when it had gotten darker, and the lamps switched on, she looked up, allowing herself to look around the room. It was silent. A still image.

She returned to her book, staring at its pages, this time her hand gripped the cover and pages. Her nails pressed into the old leather, leaving groves along the cover.

Her heart was racing. Pounding. Blood filling her ears like a drum, picking up speed.

A sliver blue stream shot from the window, gliding through the glace, and onto the rug. A large black dog, bounded over to Lilith, tail between its legs. She let the book fall off her lap, sliding onto the sofa.

Vapour falling in waves down the dogs back, it barely lit up the room, the dog fading in and out of visibly.

The dogs jaw opened, and a howling, earsplitting sob erupted from its throat. She already knew. The words didn't need to leave the dogs mouth, but they did anyway, filling the room. The dogs voice cracked when it spoke the names. Names that had been bound together, one never alone in a sentence , as it would always be greeted by the other.

The dog was withering now, its knees shaking. Padfoot bowed his head, falling to the ground. but he never faced impact. The patronus died, the blue vapour seeping into the rug, the bright blue such a contrast to the dying fire embers. The room darkened once it had faded away.

Lilith's world was taken from her. Ripped away by bloody hands. Her friends. Her husband. And yet, there was the black haired baby in the crib. The grey eyes were staring, transfixed on the miniature hippogriffs that paraded above him. a gift from uncle moony. The hippogriffs shifted, turning into green sticks, bowtruckle,

which now cartwheeled above the baby's outstretched hands.

He didn't know. He didn't know that he would never see his father again. He would never know his father.

He didn't know that he would never see that huge dog again. The one that would stick his nose through bars of his crib, making him laugh, covering his face with chubby hands.

He committed the very same sin his brother had. Without hesitation. after he had ran Regulus' name into the ground

What became of Lilith Aurum after that day, not many people knew. She didn't know herself, slowing loosing awareness of what was going on around her. She didn't get to meet her end as quickly as the others around her did.

what could have happened, what she should have done, what would of made a difference to her husbands betrayal. How could it hurt less.

The endless possibilities. What made her sick, what made her claw her eyes out with tears, was the fate of Harry. That small boy with the eyes of his mother, but already with the cheek of his father, what would become of him at his aunt and uncles? Dumbledore had explained himself. Over and over. She knew the magic. The innate ravenclaw desire was to know everything, to understand. But she never understood why he had to make him live with the most vile of individuals.

It made her think of her own son. The son that already bore a striking resemblance to his father. How could she let him grow up in such a cruel world. It didn't matter to Lilith if Voldemort was dead or alive. Letting her son into such a world seemed like a prison sentence. A world that would denounce him because of his name.

So maybe she did come to understand why taking Harry away from all that was a kindness. A kindness she wished she could do for her son. He had the name of a traitor permanently on his head, a sentence. The sins of his father.

Aelius Sirius Black would never be afforded the same glory. He would be distrusted, whispered about. He could change his name, lie, parade as someone else. But anyone who knew, anyone who had looked into Sirius' eyes, would only see him when they looked at her son. They would only see the sins of his father. Anything he would do would never matter, because hes the deatheaters son.

Andromeda and ted Tonks took him in once Lilith passed. Unexplainable to a child, who had just learned how to ask questions. immoral and cruel to inflict a boy with such a burden. Andromeda wanted to shield him from it, wrap her arms around the boy and tell him everything would be fine.