Chapter 13: The Start

"Let's paint each other's nails!"

Choso looks down at the hand that's caressing yours. "Ha, I guess mine do need a little touch-up hm? I'll be right back, you can sit on the couch."

He walks away towards the bathroom and you make your way over to the couch as he had asked. A moment or two later he came back from the bathroom with a small shallow tray and five different nail polishes, some acetone, and cotton balls. Each of the nail polishes was of a dark hue. You ogle at the choices and pick each one up one by one to examine. Piercing blood red, hollow obsidian purple, infinite void black, wicked potion green, mocha latte brown.

He's currently donning the black nail polish. And you remember from your 20-question game that he likes red and purple. You hold the two options up and hold them close to his face. Matching them up to his skin tone. His lips curve into a smile as your face scrunches, trying to make the best decision. He brings one leg up on the couch and folds it, facing you, mimicking the way you're sitting, so that both of you now face each other.

"Mmmm. You're getting purple." You decide after comparing the two colors. You like the shade against his pale skin and dark brown eyes.

"Yes ma'am" he replies with a chuckle.

"Now I haven't done this in a while so you'll have to bear with me." You say. It's been a while since you've painted someone else's nails and you typically go to the salon to get your own done.

"Am I doing yours after?" Choso asks.

"Mm. If you want." You smile, uncap the acetone, and gesture to the man to give you his hand.

You can feel his gaze on you as you are deeply concentrated on painting his nails. His elbow is rested on the knee he has up on the couch and his hand is placed under his chin. He's smiling softly, simply enjoying your presence. After you've done a nail or two, you can see him close his eyes and lean his head against the couch. The silence might have been awkward but, you think you're starting to understand that Choso is a man of few words and his expressions mean a lot more than what he says out loud. He's enjoying just being here in this moment and that's enough for him.

"Next hand." You say gently. He opens his eyes and examines the painted hand.

"Looks good." He smiles and takes his unpainted hand out from under his chin. He shifts a little bit and his knee bumps against yours. But neither of you says anything. His body is always so warm.

You take his other hand and follow the same routine. Once done, you notice his eyes are closed once again. So for fun, you lift his hand, lower your head slightly, and gently blow cold air on his nails. This causes an immediate reaction as his eyes flash open and stare down at you. Light pink peppered his cheeks.

Diverting his gaze, he asks "What color do you want?"

"Mmm. Let's match."

Choso is much more experienced with nail painting than you. He's probably been painting his nails for years. He is swift in his movements and hardly makes any mistakes. Either his thoughts are focused on the task at hand or in a world of their own. He switches to your unpainted hand and repeats the process.

He finishes up both your hands pretty quickly. He releases you from his hands and lets you examine his work.

"Danngg they look great!" You can't help but plaster a big grin on your face while holding out your hands and spreading your fingers wide. And I guess you can say either the devil or the angel on your shoulder decides your next action because you turn your hand around and slowly reach for Choso's cheek. Placing your thumb gently on the warm, plush skin. Your other four fingers curl behind his chiseled and defined jawline. He leans into your hand and closes his eyes. Cheeks glowing a darker pink. He breathes in and reopens his eyes, revealing his dark brown irises. He shuffles a little bit, straightening his back and ultimately leaning closer to you. At this point, your foreheads are almost touching. His eyelashes look long from this angle and his eye bags are now visibly a mixture of purples and pinks. And his lips. Thin, but plump at this moment. You're wondering if they've ever been romantically kissed by another. When he breathes out, you can feel every bit of it. It sends chills down your spine.