1.1 Down the Hole

“In Carroll's novel Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Wonderland includes a beautiful garden, an ocean, and a forest. Although the unusual characters and unexpected events in Wonderland sometimes perplex Alice, she often takes pleasure in her surroundings.”

[Down the Hole]

How did I get here? A make believe land. A kingdom in peril. And a naked monarch on a bed in front on me. Well, far be it from me to know how one ends up in Wonderland… but I sure did.

It was another typical day at my office job. I work alone and don't really interact with any of my co-workers. My life was nothing complicated at this point. Work. Sleep. Occasional work out. But nothing too complicated. Just average.

I had a few friends, but rarely see them these days. And in the romance department, we'll, I've kinda given up on that for now. I don't know if maybe I'm not interesting enough, bad in bed, or considered a loser to society. Hell. Could be all of the above. Maybe some day I'll have something to offer, but right now, I'm just not sure what.

My lunch break came up and I went out to the local park, a few minutes walk, as I often did for my breaks. After finishing a little thrown together sandwich I got off a park bench where I saw a white rabbit. Not uncommon to see rabbits, but an albino looking one was unique, so I followed it around a tree thinking I could snap a photo of it.

And that's it. The last fucking thing I remember before my life got so much worse… or better. I really haven't decided. But maybe you can be the judge of that.

I remember falling and then waking up in a forest, but not a forest you'd typically see so I knew something was… weird.

Half the forest looked to be dying, some of it in ashes, while the other half seemed vibrant with life. It even seemed the flowers were singing… yes, singing.

I've seen enough movies, read enough books to know, I've been transported to some other world. Nonsense! Crap!

Not that my life meant much before this. But now it can be what ever I want it to be. Or so I thought.

Wandering about, I quickly found that nothing was helping me find a way out of the damn forest. Of course I'm lost. It's a different world. My sense of direction was already fucked in the real world. And so, I wandered on.