061 rumours in a ballroom

Start from the beginning

There was an attendant at the door, welcoming guests with a warm smile while a tray filled with champagne floated nearby. Theseus nodded to the man, his hand itching to pull Ariadne closer to grasp her warmth. Crowds like these always made him feel uneasy. Any potential threat could be hiding anywhere, lurking between groups of people. He glanced down at his girlfriend who was playing with her fingers, eyes darting around just as anxious as him for different reasons.

"Oh no," she let out, her voice low so that no one else could hear. Armand Yaxley nodded over to them, causing the three people he was conversing with to turn in their direction. "How does he always find us?"

"Well, if you insist on being the most beautiful woman in the room."

"It's not that and you know it," Ariadne countered, her words falling short due to the smile that crept on her face.

"Let's congratulate him, and we can dance and I promise I won't say a word to anyone else for the rest of the night," he offered, a hand up to wave at Yaxley, a coy smile never leaving his face.

"Theseus Scamander, all to myself?" She feigned shock, mouth hung open, "That's rare."

He rolled his eyes at her antics, "Come on."

As they approached the group, a bearded man beamed as Theseus clapped his hand, bringing him in for a hug, "How have you been?"

"You sly dog," Theseus jested, as the other man laughed, "Heard you're moving upstairs."

"Where'd you hear that from?" The man questioned, a smile on his face. "Oh, meet my wife, Anya." The woman beside him wore a winning smile. Her maroon dress complimented every inch of her body and Ariadne couldn't help but feel like a fraud standing next to her.

"Lovely you see you," Theseus said and it echoed back to him. He shook hands with the group, Yaxley and his wife included.

"And you are?" All eyes were on her as the man turned to his right.

"Ariadne Nott," she held out her hand and he gracefully took it.

"James Shafiq."

"A pleasure."

"Likewise," James had a certain smile that made his eyes twinkle. It was warm and inviting, something that lacked at parties like these. James glanced at Theseus, sharing a silent conversation that made his quirk a brow. "And, you know Yaxley."

"Mr Scamander, Miss Nott," the older man nodded his head towards the couple, his wife standing next to them. She had a stern smile on her face, her hair curled off to the side. Ariadne wondered what it took to be bounded to Yaxley for life. Was she just as cruel as him, or was she an unfortunate soul that got stuck with him?

"Quite a party, isn't it," Ariadne started, a polite smile lifting her lips.

Yaxley shrugged nonchalantly, "We've seen bigger."

"Right," the brunette witch resisted the urge to slap him across the cheek. Her smile never left her face but even James could hear the bitterness in her voice. Wanting to push the conversation forward, Ariadne turned to James, "So, what's the promotion for?"

"I'll be supporting the Minister of Magic."

Ariadne whistled, "You'll be busy."

"I know, but it's kind of thrilling," James said, whispering the last part like it was a hidden secret. Unexpectedly, the lights began to dim. A crowd formed around a dancer, her body moving with sheer mesh that floated through the air. Blue light illuminated her movements, fabric swayed like waves. Subsequently, Theseus and Ariadne stood at the edge of the crowd, gaining front row view of the dancer.