Prologue

Dr. Enyd Drake was not the professor that you wanted to notice you.

You wanted her to respect you, and for her to value your presence in the lecture theatre - but you never really wanted her to speak to you. Because when she did, it became a very daunting experience.

None of this was intentional, of course. The twenty-five year old was, for the most part, unaware of how intimidated her subordinates were by her. To her, the qualifications she had collected over the years had began to morph together into some sort of long, complex scroll of who she was. To others, it was a reminder that they would likely never live up to her achievements.

That isn't to say that Enyd was not also cold, ruthless and difficult to read. When she called upon you during class, her icy stare was enough to completely hinder your ability to speak English. You would first stutter, mispronouncing the name of a ubiquitous psychological theory. Her eyebrows would raise in questioning, and you would realise your mistake - and then, everything else would crumble, much like a very frightening domino effect. Most students in her class understood that fear was not quantifiable, but if it was, Enyd's numbers would be undeniably through the roof.

For years, Dr. Enyd Drake had sat on the throne of intellectualism at Marbury University. That was, until the usurper dared to question her authority.