Ill go get a ring (let the choir bells sing); darlingriki ❕

Start from the beginning

"When we get married and have our own house, we aren't makin' it all pink," Jongseong insisted, scrunching his nose at the thought.

"Married?"

"Yeah. Like our mommy and daddies. Getting married means being best friends forever, and no one else is your best friend."

"Oh," the tiny girl hummed, twisting one of her blonde ringlet curls around her finger as she stared at the dollhouse in thought. "My mommy says you get married when you love someone."

"Well, that doesn't make sense, does it?" Jongseong sat up, hands on his hips, his chin tilted up haughtily. "We love our mom and dad and we can't marry them, can we? See? I'm right."

"No, Jay, it's a different kinda love! Like—like Cinderella and Prince Charming!" Saralynn stood then, stomping her foot, her shiny little black Mary Jane shoes scuffing in the gravel. "Or Aladdin and Princess Jasmine! Ugh, boys."

"Okay, fine, so best friends that love each other so then they kiss. Same thing, I'm still right," he huffed, shoving his truck closer to the dollhouse before taking the little doll bed out and handing it to her.

"Jayyyyy! No! You're supposed to put it there! You're the delivery man!"

"But I don't know where you want it to go!"

"In the bedroom!"

"There's a million rooms!"

"This one!"

He sighed, taking the little plastic bed back and situating it in the section that his friend pointed out, before crossing his arms with a pout.

"There. Are you happy, now?"

Saralynn grinned, her freckles more prominent in the summer sun as her cheeks puffed up with her smile. She took a moment to brush down the front of her dress before leaning over and pressing a quick, fleeting, barely-there peck to Jongseong's cheek.

"Yes. You're the bestest."

"So you'll marry me, then?" He asked, his face warm.

"I dunno. We can't get married 'til we're grown-ups. What if we have other best friends by then?"

"Says who?" Jongseong frowned, irritated at the thought. This was the whole reason they had to get married now—before that happened! Didn't she understand? "No. We gotta marry each other now, so that no one else tries to be our best friend!"

"Well, it's the rules. Daddy says I can't get married 'til I'm thirty-five."

"What!?" he gasped, nearly falling over at the girl's nonchalant shrug. "That's—that's a dumb rule! Ugh. Grown-ups get to do everything right away!"

Saralynn giggled, covering her mouth with her hands. It was a cute sound, squeaky, almost like a mouse toy for a cat. It always made Jongseong's tummy feel funny, fluttery and a little queasy—like when he was watching the best part of a movie, or on the night before Christmas, when he thought he might've heard reindeer hooves clip-clopping on the roof.

"I have an idea," she whispered, peeking over the dollhouse to where their mothers were sitting together on the porch, gossiping over their iced tea as they watched him and Saralynn play. They seemed animated, caught up in an exciting conversation of some sort; Saralynn quickly crouched down, sitting on her knees in front of the toy house to hide herself from their view, gesturing for him to join her.

"What?" he whispered back, wincing at the sight of his friend's white cotton knee-high stockings getting soiled by the gravel and dirt, though she seemed as if she couldn't care less. He quickly made sure he wasn't getting the knees of his pants stained, knowing his own mother would have a cow about it.