Green Little Critter

Cold.

White.

A nostalgic melody that day by day became more distorted.

That has become his world for as long as he can remember, a routine rarely broken by a lizard trying in vain to eat him or a Scavenger attempting to steal his music away.

But that never brought change, he was still there, with no way to die, the music of his pearl still in his fierce grasp, the world around him never changing, the voice of his sister...

It had been hundreds of cycles since he heard her voice, even before the rain had transformed into ice and snow, he no longer had the power to even defend himself, much less use an overseer to receive any call or broadcast, hopefully, she was in a better condition than him, that at least she didn't have to deal with the cold every cycle.

For Five Pebbles, each day it was harder and harder to remember, the white and cold occupying and rewriting his memories, or perhaps it was his remaining systems deteriorating with each cycle spent outdoors in the cruelty of the frigid climate.

But for the first time in countless cycles, something changed.

Through his damaged optical lenses, a green spot appeared, he thought it was a lizard at first, but it didn't growl, it didn't come closer, it just stayed there.

"Little... Green thing... Hello". Was the most he could speak to it, if it came in search of food, it would find only disappointment. "Nothing here... Nothing... left". It still didn't move and Pebbles wondered for a moment if his systems were so damaged that he was now hallucinating.

Then... a bell-like sound, a light appeared over the green thing and his world was full of colors.

The gold took over everything in a few seconds, and then...

Darkness.

--------------------------------

When he opened his eyes, he found himself floating in the darkness, he couldn't tell where was up and down, his umbilical was not hanging from his back, and nothing was holding him to the ground, but at the same time, he didn't feel like he was moving nowhere.

Where was he?

What had that little green thing done?

...Was this the Ascension that their creators had sought so much, this endless void?

Or was it his own nature as an Iterator that prevented him from once again achieving the death he had longed for since Silver of Staw reached it so long ago? Was it a punishment for all the sins he committed in pursuit of Ascension?

That would be fitting, an eternity in a frozen wasteland was not enough for him, Moon's kind nature may have forced her to forgive him for all the damage done to her and their fellow Iterators with his actions, but the universe itself knew he deserved worse.

Would this be his punishment then, just him, floating around in an infinite darkness with a slugcat and not even his beloved pearl to fill the silen-

Wait- slugcat?

Focusing his sight, he confirmed that yes, a slugcat was floating directly towards him, a golden glow floating above their head...

A green slugcat.

Void below, why it was always a slugcat?

Were those little critters so important that they really need to be present in every major event of his existence?! How did this one come in here?!

Was this a 'dream'? Did he really start to hallucinate and that's why he was seeing a slugcat in what he was sure was the Void Sea?

He didn't understand it, his memory fell to recall any archive related to the void and what was supposed to be there, the Ancients had taken most of them when they left the Iterators behind to search for the answer to a problem never meant to be resolved.

But no, the green creature was still there, floating around him, not a care in the world just like any other of his species, making "wawa" sounds as if it was trying to tell him something, probably that it was hungry or something like that, it didn't matter anymore, they were both stuck here, if this was really the Void Sea, escape was impossible, it was just his puppet here, no way to access any of his systems, if there was still any to have access to, and no matter how capable slugcats have proved to be, he highly doubts they would be able to escape either.

So, Five Pebbles just stayed there, like he had done before in the unforgiven cold, his little companion still moving around, sometimes disappearing from his vision but always returning, the bell-like sounds were back with them, but he paid no mind, despite of the circumstances, his mind was better of what it has been in a long time, despite no neurons being around, his memories were accessible once again.

He had no idea how long he spent in that dark place, he spent most of the time going through his memories, from the good ones to all the mistakes that created his worst ones.

And all the people who he will never see again.

A new routine had formed, the void remained unchanged, the slugcat just defied any rule the void may have and went wherever they wanted, the bell-like sounds following them wherever they went, it was almost peaceful, maybe he had grown accustomed to the loneliness, maybe it was the void calming him.

It didn't matter, he was okay.

Everything was okay.

Until one 'cycle,' his little companion started to drag him away from the place he'd been floating around. "Little creature?".

"Wawa". Say the green thing without releasing him.

"...Understood".

So, he just let himself be dragged to wherever the little creature (he really needed to name it if he was gonna keep it) wanted to take him, his mind already wandering into his memories once again, not caring what was happening, they could be moving for all he knows as the surroundings never changed.

Then, something moves in the darkness.

In the black, glimpses of gold and white started to appear, like worms in appearance surrounded them, the slugcat continued as if nothing was happening, but it got closer, bigger, but strangely it wasn't threatening.

That didn't stop his little creature from blasting them with what can only be compared with a bullet of sorts, along with the bell-like sound he had grown so accustomed to.

It was a mess, the giant worm got scared and swam away from them, and a part of it hit them away from it, without thinking, he grabbed the slugcat as soon as the hit register on his puppet, the world was once again a mess of colors before he closed his eyes.

He could almost swear that something else, something huge, grabbed him before he suffered a shutdown of all his systems.

When he opened his eyes, he was surrounded by water.

.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.

...I don't have an excuse for this, I've been watching a lot of lore videos of Rain World and can't let go of the whole 'void' thing, so I needed to mix it with the only other thing I write about.