Chapter 4

As Ella and Sofie stepped out of the locksmith's shop, the weight of the mysterious key hung heavy between them. The locksmith had examined it with furrowed brows before shaking his head, unable to identify its purpose or origin. Despite the dead end, Ella couldn't shake the feeling that the key held the answers she sought about her parents' disappearance.

Sofie glanced at Ella, concern etched on her face. "Are you okay, Ella? You seem really on edge."

Ella forced a smile, her mind racing with unanswered questions. "Yeah, just tired, I guess. Thanks for coming with me, Sofie."

Sofie nodded, her own curiosity piqued by the strange turn of events. "Of course. You know I'll always be here for you, right?"

Before Ella could respond, a sudden commotion drew their attention to the nearby alley. They exchanged a puzzled look before cautiously approaching the source of the disturbance.

Peering around the corner, they froze at the sight before them. A tall figure loomed over a fallen person, their back turned to Ella and Sofie. The air crackled with tension as they watched, unsure of what to do.

Sofie gasped, her hand flying to her mouth. "Who... who is that?"

Ella's heart pounded in her chest as she struggled to make sense of the scene before her. She had never seen the person before, but something about their presence sent a shiver down her spine.

As if sensing their presence, the figure turned towards them, their eyes dark and unreadable. A chill swept over Ella as their gaze locked onto hers, sending a wave of unease through her.

Without a word, the figure vanished into the shadows, leaving Ella and Sofie standing in stunned silence. Reality seemed to warp around them as they struggled to come to terms with what they had just witnessed.

"We... we have to go to the police," Sofie stammered, her voice trembling with fear.

But Ella knew it wasn't that simple. Whoever that person was, they were not just a random stranger. And Ella couldn't shake the feeling that they were somehow connected to her parents' disappearance.

As they made their way home, Ella couldn't shake the feeling of unease that settled in the pit of her stomach. The mystery surrounding her parents' disappearance had only deepened, and she knew she was running out of time to uncover the truth.