-2

"you've got to be kidding me."

Jake muttered when the newest member of the mathletes walked into the room, ten minutes late.

Heeseung strolled inside the class, and casual took a seat as the rest of the memes looked at him in confusion.

Apart from Jake, the other two members were Kim Daniel and yang jungwon.

"He's the person you were telling us about?" Jungwon asked Mr. Sorkin, looking just puzzled as the rest.

"Yes. Heeseung is the newest member of our club. I expect all of you to be welcoming." Mr. Sorkin said.

"Are you sure this isn't some kind of a mistake?" Jungwon questioned again, making heeseung roll his eyes, "no offense, bro."

"None taken, bro." Heeseung muttered, he was expecting this exact response.

"Heeseung is one of the top students in my class. He's right fit for the team." Mr. Sorkin said.

"Just because he scores on paper doesn't mean the same will reflect in competitions. Mental math and quick thinking is a completely different area." Jake pointed out.

"How about we test it out? Jake? Why don't you do a quick rapid fire with heeseung?" Mr. Sorkin suggested, and suddenly everyone looked interested.

"Sure. You ready?" Jake looked at heeseung as he asked. The dark haired boy shrugged in response.

"What number is 17 less that it's negative?"

"69." Heeseung answered without wasting a second, and everyone in the room started at him with a blank expression.

"Nice." Quinn finally said.

"Quinn?" Mr Sorkin sighed, look exhausted. "You're not part of the club. What are you doing here?"

"I'm here to show my support." Quinn grinned. "Think of me as your personal cheerleader."

"Be a silent cheerleader then, please." Mr. Sorkin said, "and heeseung? Will you please take this seriously?"

Heeseung stared at the teacher, a bored look on his face before he exhaled deeply and nodded. He turned his head towards Jake again, as if asking him to continue.

"How many positive even integers are less that 1000 whose digit multiply to 168?" Jake read out the question from the worksheet. Heeseung paused for a moment giving it a thought before answering.

"6." Heeseung stated.

"Correct." Jake muttered before continuing. "What is the highest power of 39 that divides 2018?"

"166."

"Correct. A staircase has 10 steps. How many ways are there to ascend the staircase if you either take one step at a time or three steps at a time?" Jake questioned.

"28."

"...Correct." Jake said as he looked up at the boy in surprise.

"Damn," Danielle spoke. "What is 236 multiplied by 562?"

"132,632." Heeseung answered after a short pause.

"Okay, I don't know the answer, I just made it up." Danielle said.

"Wait." Jungwon pulled out his phone from her bag, and opened the calculator app, "that was.. correct."

"Welcome to mathletes." Quinn stater with a wide grin her face and the five others just stared at her blankly.

After the little test, mr. Sorkin gave a small worksheet to do for the reminder of the meeting. He wanted to keep the day light since it was their first session of the year. Once everyone was done, Mr. Sorkin dismissed them.