twenty-four

ROWAN

"So, the volleyball tournament is tomorrow, Taylor's coming tonight, and you're hanging out with Jeremiah again tonight," Elena states as we make our way, arm in arm, toward the pool at The Club.

The two of us were going over plans, but obviously, Elena already knew the plans, well, reinforced them.

"Yes, yes, and no I'm hanging with the girls tonight." I shoved her hip with my own, causing both of us to go off-tack a bit.

Elena faked a yawn. "You're boring, but I say you hang out with us until at least 7:30 pm and then go spend the night with Jeremiah."

I wanted to cover her mouth since she was talking way too loud for my liking around people I could possibly know. Even worse, Jeremiah could be lurking around the corner without us knowing.

"Elena!" I shush, sending her a glare which she ignores.

"Come on, let me live my love life through you, please." She begs, shoving her bottom lip out. Her light blue eyes sink down as if she's trying her best to get me to cave.

"You literally have a boyfriend." I point out.

"And, so? We are dating. You're not dating, yet, and this is literally the best stage ever in any relationship so please enjoy it."

I open the fence door for both of us, letting her words sink into me. She does have a point. Talking stages are typically one of the most fun stages. You're not committed to one another, officially, but at the same time, you are doing everything in your power to try and get to that point.

All your feelings are heightened and the butterflies are the most prompt and intense. This is just the beginning of the honeymoon phase.

"Fine, we will see where the night takes me." I let go of her arm and she does the same, taking a few steps ahead of me, a smirk rising on her face.

"It better take you to Jeremiah's di-"

My eyes widen as I spot a curly-headed shirtless boy approaching us.

"Jeremiah!" I shouted as loud as possible to cover up whatever the hell was about to come out of Elena's mouth. We receive a few looks from bystanders, but the most confused person out of all of them is Jeremiah as he stands side by side with Elena.

"Sorry, someone is just a little excited to see you." She nervously laughs while widening her eyes in disbelief at me. We both know she almost just really embarrassed us both.

I look away from her and to Jeremiah who has a cheeky smile on his face. "Is that so?"

Wishing for a cool breeze, a warm one comes instead, causing my warm face to become even warmer. Trying my best to keep it cool, I let out a small chuckle. "Don't let it get to your head."

"Oh it is, definitely in my head already." He laughs while bringing me into a quick hug. My insides immediately turn to jello.

I hear a small aw from next to us and as we both pull from each other's embrace, Elena has her bottom lip stuck out.

"You guys are sickening," She gushes, which receives a chuckle from all three of us. Elena looks over her shoulder and to the snack shack where Steven is in all our eye line. Her mouth widens sending both of us a devilish grin. "I think it's long overdue for me to annoy Steven."

"Agreed," I say, already taking a step toward the shack.

"Agree as well, let's go," Jeremiah adds and the three of us all make our way towards Steven who is whipping down the countertops. He wears a hairnet in his hair, which is required, but I know Elena is about to weigh heavy in on him about it.