Chapter 6

The bar was loud and crazy by the time we got there. We got some food beforehand at Olive Garden, one of my favorite places, and Ubered to the club because there's no way we'll have a DD. We left Sofia's car at her place and went on our merry way.

I didn't think we'd find a country bar in California, since everyone here sucks, but this was an actual country bar. Literal country music was playing, some of the fun ones, and people were line dancing. I love line dancing.

I think the girls saw my excitement because they pulled me over to where everyone was dancing just as a new song started playing.

I laughed as we all danced and had a great time. Some very attractive guy put his hat on my head and grinned while we danced. Us girls were so not dressed for a country bar but it didn't matter to me. I was just having so much fun.

After the song ended, we went to the bar and got drinks. I stuck with plain old tequila because I wasn't in the mood for some fruity girly drink, but the others were.

After about an hour at the country bar, and three drinks each, we decided to hit up a different bar — which turned out to be a club. I wasn't feeling a club but I still went along with them and tried to have a good night.

I honestly felt like I was fifth-wheeling after a while and went to sit at the bar as a familiar song played. One that broke my heart all over again. My song with Cole; "Stay" by Zedd and Alessia Cara ironically enough.

I ordered a drink, vodka this time, and sipped it while the lyrics stabbed my heart — literally.

"All you have to do is stay a minute, just take your time. The clock is ticking so stay."

The beat dropped and I closed my eyes, feeling actual pain in my chest. I thought I'd be safe from this song since it's so old but it always comes back to haunt me.

I took a few deep breaths and kept my never-ending supply of tears in check. I don't want to look vulnerable where there are a ton of drunk men ready to take a vulnerable girl home and have their way with her.

But, my luck just isn't there anymore. Some guy sitting a few seats down on my left spoke to me. "Are you okay?"

I opened my eyes and looked at him. In the fog of my tipsy brain, I knew his face from somewhere, but I couldn't tell you right now. He was handsome enough with a sharp jaw and a cute crooked smile. His eyes were a gorgeous hazel green, which I did not expect, and his hair was all messy but looked like it was supposed to be.

Damn, I wish I knew where I'd seen him before. Lots of girls were looking at him and swooning, which I would be too if I was drunk enough, so that told me he was either famous or just really, really hot.

I shrugged. "Not really but I'll get over it."

"You look like you've had a rough night," this guy said, leaning closer to me so I could hear him better. This damn song was making it hard to hear everything.

I chuckled. "Try a rough week."

"What happened?"

Do I tell a hot stranger about my problems? No, but I'm going to. "My boyfriend broke up with me a week before my birthday."

The mystery man froze, eyes darkening. "Well, he's a dumbass if he let you go." I hate that my heart fluttered. "When was your birthday?"

"In two days."

"So it's still new?"

I nodded, looking at my drink, which was basically just ice now. I finished it off and pushed the glass away, about to order a new one, but the mystery man beat me to it.