Chapter 1

Ella wiped her hands on her apron, surveying the bustling café with a mix of pride and exhaustion. The aroma of freshly brewed coffee mingled with the scent of baking pastries, creating a cozy atmosphere that drew in customers from the chilly streets outside. As she moved behind the counter to serve another customer, her thoughts drifted, as they often did, to her parents.

They had vanished without a trace when she was just a child, leaving behind nothing but unanswered questions and a gaping void in Ella's heart. Every day, she searched for clues, hoping to unravel the mystery of their disappearance.

Just as Ella handed a steaming latte to a waiting customer, a flash of movement outside caught her eye. A piece of parchment fluttered through the air, caught by the wind and pinned against the café window. Curiosity piqued, Ella hurried outside to retrieve it, her heart pounding with anticipation.

The parchment was old and weathered, the ink faded with age. But as Ella read the message scrawled upon it, her breath caught in her throat. It was a riddle, a cryptic clue that hinted at the whereabouts of her long-lost parents. Excitement and fear warred within her as she realized that this could be the breakthrough she had been waiting for.

Meanwhile, across town, Asher watched from the shadows, his gaze fixed on Ella with a mixture of fascination and apprehension. He had been drawn to her café by a sense of inexplicable longing, a feeling he had thought long dead within him. And now, as he observed her reaction to the mysterious message, he felt a stir of something unfamiliar—a glimmer of hope.

But Asher knew better than to trust in hope. He had learned long ago that emotions were nothing but a weakness, a dangerous distraction that had led him down a path of regret and sorrow. And yet, as he watched Ella's determined expression, he couldn't shake the feeling that she held the key to something he had long thought lost.