10. don't take me for granted

Start from the beginning

Ethan let go of Felix's shirt, noticing that Felix's sarcastic smile had disappeared from his face. Ethan remained serious and moved away from Felix, the two boys noticing that some people were staring at them.

"Nothing to see here, guys." Ethan said, leaving the courtyard.

[....]

On her lunch break, Emma was sitting with Peyton in the schoolyard. Emma glared at everyone who dared to look at Peyton in a different way. Brooke soon joined the two girls.

"With men like that in the world, it's a wonder we're not gay." Brooke said, Emma assumed that Brooke was referring to Felix or perhaps to all stupid men.

Peyton scanned the courtyard, sitting between Emma and Brooke.

"See how everybody's looking at me?" Peyton asked in a low voice.

Brooke put her hand on Peyton's shoulder and in a soft voice said.

"Nobody's taking this seriously."

Peyton looked at Brooke, arching one of her eyebrows.

"Really? Because half the girls in PE wouldn't change in front of me."

Emma stared at her sister, hearing the information for the first time.

"That's 'cause you look better than they do naked." Brooke said, trying to make Peyton smile, but Peyton just ducked her head.

"P. Sawyer, look at me." Emma's voice sounded like a sergeant's. "If these people are treating you badly because they think you're a lesbian, they're a bunch of prejudiced idiots." Emma said, the girl took her sister's hand and continued.

"It was cruel what they wrote on your locker, they used a fucking derogatory slur. They should expel whoever wrote that, because if they're doing that to you because of a rumor, what the hell are they doing to the students who are actually gay and lesbian?"

Peyton and Brooke looked at her, Emma's words giving Peyton an idea.

Emma and Brooke hugged Peyton.

"Sis, if anyone dares to hurt you or talk any nonsense, I'll break their nose." Emma muttered.

Peyton smiled slightly, and Brooke laughed.

"Emma 'Violence' Sawyer." Brooke said, making Peyton giggle and look at her sister.

Emma disengaged herself from Peyton and stared at Brooke in disbelief, then shrugged and pointed at Brooke.

"I'm being violent with a purpose." Emma recounted.

"Fair enough." Brooke said.

The girls saw Anna nearby, and the three girls beckoned Anna to come and sit with them. However, Anna looked in Peyton's direction and ignore them. Brooke laughed humorlessly.

"Unbelievable." Brooke said.

Peyton got up from the bench where the three girls were sitting, Peyton offered the two girls to kill the next period, but neither Emma nor Brooke could because of a quiz.