Hilda x Reader || More Than a Trophy

Start from the beginning

The next day, Byleth had brought everyone to the training grounds located in the northwest of the monastery, and I was to sit by the side, take notes on her teaching style, and step in only to help in a die situation to offer tips that didn't contradict whatever Byleth taught. Overall, it was fairly simple and without a doubt very boring.

I didn't space out, however, I was close to doing so, but before I realized what happened, I noticed that we were down one student. From the corner of my eye, I caught a pair of bubblegum-pink pigtails darting down the entrance, and I stifled a laugh before alerting the professor of the ditching girl and returning to my observations.

It was a pattern, I realized, with that girl. Nearly every time we had to get our hands dirty with anything from mock battles to afternoon lectures and study time, the doll-eyed, twin-tailed young woman was nowhere to be seen.

To me, it was obvious that she was skipping class, although I couldn't figure out what motivated her lack of enthusiasm when it came to learning and training.

At the end of my first month on the job, I had lost count of how many times she had wandered off at convenient times, so much so that I purposely committed her name to my memory once I learned it: Hilda Valentine Gonreril.

While at times her personality was a mystery to me, I kept an eye on her during the battles where my only duty was to stand off to the side and watch. During brawls, a new side of Hilda shined through without fail every time. Her prodigious strength and hidden intelligence always spilled through the cracks when she wielded an axe and was given an enemy to defeat.

She always tucked this part of her away, kept it securely behind her fonded to slack off and complain about every little thing.

After that realization hit me, I spurred into motion. I tried with everything I had in me to try and get Hilda to stay in class and embrace her smarts. I was set on believing that she could become one of the strongest of the students in Garreg Mach.

Despite my many efforts, which involved a range of desperate pursuits, Hilda only used her cunning to escape me with a toss of her lengthy strands of hair and an exasperated sigh. She made it painfully clear that she wasn't inclined to dedicate herself to her studies anytime soon, but I chose to carefully ignore it until she confronted me one day.

With a sugar-sweet smile, Hilda leaned close, looking up at me from under her long lashes. "So sorry to bother you, professor..." She apologized, although it seemed forced.

"I don't mind at all. And I told you, just (Y/N) is alright with me." I assured her, still uncertain what her motive was when previously all she had done was to avoid me dragging her back to learn and practice her unappreciated talents.

"Right, right." She pursed her lips, which were painted a bold pink, in a pout, although she didn't tear her eyes away from me. "So, the whole getting stronger thing isn't really up my alley, and I don't really wanna sweat. You won't force a girl, right? I'm fragile, y'know!"

I shook my head. "Ah, but that's where you're wrong, Hild--"

When she cupped my face between her slender fingers, I couldn't stop the heat from creeping up in my face. "I'm just a young beauty, not a warrior. You agree, don't you, (Y/N)?" Before I could sputter out a question, it clicked. Using her cuteness factor on me in order to influence my decision... not a bad tactic.

"Yet you certainly have the potential to be such," I replied firmly. "You're wasting your natural talent by simply wanting to be a trophy for some well-off guy who falls for your charms. If you merely exploited your abilities—"

Hilda interrupted, her smile tightening. "You have it all wrong, I'm not—"

"No. No, I am not wrong." I butted in, not caring for formalities on something that would impact her future in more ways than one. I continued, not breaking eye contact even as her gaze darkened, "It's clear to me that you are a woman with the capacity to be one of the most important and respected people in the Alliance if you so pleased. If only you put in the work and applied yourself for once."