Seiðr x Summoner! Reader || Picnics and Promises

———

Notice: For lack of a better symbol, the 'ð' in Seiðr will be replaced with an 'o', despite how the sound it makes resembles 'th'. Thank you!

———

"Um, dear Child of Midgard, Summoner, I must admit some worries that have been on my mind, if you'll allow me."

Reluctantly, I set down the map I was inspecting, trying to clear away the many plans of battle tactics and successful teams to focus on her concerns. It wasn't every day that the Goddess of Hope was fretting over something. "What's up?" I ask, looking up at her with a dash of curiosity that almost dispelled my fatigue.

Seior gives me a soft, tender look but remains silent. Before I can repeat the question, she moves over to the window on the far wall of my study room in Askr's castle and pulls away the curtains, letting pure moonlight spill through.

"Did you neglect to notice the time, Summoner?" Her golden eyes seemed to glitter in the moon's pale illuminations. "When was the last time you had a full night's sleep? A good meal and a minute to relax and rest?" She asks this in a warm, gentle voice, but it's laced with an undertone of anxiety.

"This is what you wanted to speak with me about?" I exhale slowly, then turn back to the skills and weaponry of our troops. My work was important, and it tipped the scales in every battle. These constant wars needed to be solved, and victory needed to be achieved.

"Yes, it is," Seior replies firmly, scooping up the candle that supplied my only light this late and promptly blowing it out.

Snatching back the candle and fumbling for a way to relight it, I deeply frown in growing irritation. "I'm really sorry, Seior, but I just need to finish this one last little thing before I-"

"No, you're going to get some well-deserved and much-needed sleep, (Y/N)." She didn't call me 'Summoner'... "It can all be done in the morning." She assured me, and then gingerly took the candle from me once more and set it down on my desk.

"But the next battle plan..."

"...Can all be done tomorrow or later, if need be." Seior hastily cuts in, placing a comforting hand on my shoulder.

"No, no." I shake my head vigorously, brushing her hand off. "Another time, Seior."

Seior gives me a long, worried look. Her sincere and heartfelt concern was greatly appreciated, but as long as these devastatingly lengthy wars continued to drag on, my work as the sole strategist and Summoner of Askr always came before sleep, in my mind.

While I initially thought she would continue to persist and dawdle a minute or three longer, she reluctantly and begrudgingly left. The click of the door closing behind her rang in my ears, and my exhaustion began to fully sink in.

Maybe... I'll rest my eyes for a second... just a second...

No. I've got to focus.

However, when I tried to concentrate on the maps and battle tactics, the words and lines blurred and smeared as my eyes continued to glaze over with the very sleepiness that had sunk its teeth into me.

Unfortunately, I was only able to stay awake for a mere handful of minutes longer since it was already quite past midnight.

The moment I awoke, everything met me all at once – sun streaming through the window Seior opened, birds chirping outside like they hadn't a care in the word, and my muscles tight from dozing on the desk chair. I yawned, stretched, and then tried to wipe the drool away from the papers scattered across the tabletop.