01 - Safirina

10:39 - Arena Hall Atrium

62 Cretan Days to Landing

Safirina Z-64

I sit as still as a statue, frozen on a dark green couch at the centre of the Arena Hall Atrium. I'm still—not out of choice, but because I was previously shocked into paralysis by a robot after being trapped in a death cube for 38 minutes.

Dione applies a small patch of cream onto my hand, and reassures me that in a few moments when the antidote has soaked into my skin, I'll be able to move again. I can't help but give her the worst death glare I can muster.

My death glare, however, if measured on the pH scale, is only about a 6. Kassia's death glare is a definite 1: so acidic it seems to burn into Milo's forehead, because he looks away immediately.

Other than the Captains, we're the only ones here. It seems we were the first to escape, even if we did so by... unique means.

After a few moments, I feel my muscles loosening up, starting from the tips of my fingers where the patch was applied, then up to my arms and down to my feet. I successfully wiggle my toes.

"JEEZ," is the first word out of Kassia's mouth as soon as she can speak, "Were you two trying to kill us?!"

They seem shocked at her casual tone.

Dione is the first to collect herself and returns Kassia's glare with a dumbfounded look. "We weren't trying to kill you, but were you trying to kill us? I can't believe you blew up one of the walls!"

Milo starts laughing a strange laugh with a hint of confusion and excruciating pain. "There was a solution to escaping the black box. At the centre of the maze, if you just moved the glass container that contained echinacea, xyloboum, idesia, and tamarisk—exit—you would have found it."

"You two gassed our botanist," Lance sounds offended. "What were we supposed to do?"

Xander, said botanist who is still groggy from being gassed, gives a weak thumbs-up to support Lance's statement.

"Oh, I don't know," Dione's voice is dripping with sarcasm as she enunciates each word, "You could have maybe moved things around? Used your resources? If you did that, you would have found the exit somehow!"

She tries to give Lance a steely look, but I can tell she's slightly amused.

"Well," I raise my hand, "we did move things around and use our resources. Quite efficiently, I might add, since none of the other teams are out yet."

Milo and Dione give each other a look, exasperated.

"Why did we not expect this from Z-64," Milo mutters under his breath. "They made a freaking bomb and exploded one of our walls..."

Dione clears her throat, "Either way, congratulations for passing the first round. We'll have to put you in quarantine now."

"The Egg-0s will guide you there," Milo waves his hand. Immediately, two round robots float over and encircle us.

I look back at the black box. "Could we perhaps help you two fix the competition cube?"

"Oh," Dione's face softens. "That's alright, Safa. Rina."

"Right. Which do you prefer?" Milo asks. He looks anxious.

"Oh, either is fine. Whichever one you like more."

The two of them exchange a glance. Then Milo smiles, a real smile. Dione chuckles, though it sounds melancholic. "That's very like you," she says.

It feels like I've been paralyzed again. What does that mean?