Chapter 4 : The Night's Trial: Friendship and Struggle Beneath The Stars

Start from the beginning

Unconsciously, I began to smile and said, "Look, you're more beautiful when you smile. Forget about what happened yesterday. Rest, I'll stay here with you." I got up and gently helped Val back to her bed, then gave her the blanket.

" I got up and gently helped Val back to her bed, then gave her the blanket

"No," Val suddenly replied, "....you must not accompany me here." "Why?" I asked, surprised.

Val responded firmly. "Of course, because you need to go back to the barracks. We're already hours late, do you want the barracks guard to worry about us being absent, and do you want to double your punishment?" Val said, smiling slightly.

"But, you, you, haven't...," before I could finish, Val cut in, "Relax, I'm fine, there's a nurse in front of the tent who's on duty. Also, the clan leader will help watch over me tonight. You, go home, don't worry too much about me. I'll go home myself when I'm better," Val insisted.

"But, I don't even know where the barracks are...," I said, trying to find a reason to stay with her. "Oh, that's right, Orion will guide you, you both share a barracks, he's waiting in front of the tent," Val said, pointing to Orion who had been standing in front of the tent, observing us the whole time.

"Come on, you still need to walk quite a distance, don't waste your time anymore, also, tell the women's barracks guard that I'll be back tomorrow," Val said, trying to convince me, patting my back, and waving her hand to urge me to leave.

"Um...," I still didn't want to take a step.

"Come on, you're a warrior, not a nurse, this isn't your place, go," Val said, jokingly.

With a heavy heart, I obeyed her.

When we reached the front of the tent, I turned my face to her, then shouted, "Remember Val, take care of yourself. I'll come back here early in the morning!"

Then, accompanied by Orion, I began to walk home.

"Are we still far?" I asked Orion, who had been silent, looking down all this time.

Orion answered shortly, "More than 3 km."

"Oh okay," I replied, looking at him. Stooped with empty eyes, his shoulders slumped, his lips trembling.

We continued walking in the middle of the very dark forest road with a small flashlight owned by Orion, and in silence. I could hear the sounds of crickets and the hooting of owls decorating our steps, while occasionally hearing the howling of wolves from the dark forest breaking the silence of the night.

Orion, who had been walking without saying a word, suddenly turned his face towards me and said softly, "You know? Val is like a sister to me." Orion stopped for a moment, then continued speaking when his strength had gathered, "For years, I have always owed her, wherever it is, when I am attacked or humiliated, she is always in front of me defending me, she is truly kind, not... too kind," he said softly.