-Chapter Sixteen- Follow You

Start from the beginning

But then again, he was never the most observant of people.

"Blondie!" exclaimed Eugene as Varian and Y/n flattened themselves against the wall, Y/n trying to hide the glow of Varian's staff in her coat.

"I told you we should have left it outside!" he whisper-yelled in a panic as Y/n scrambled to cover the light.

"I'm trying my best!" responded Y/n in an equally frantic whisper.

"What-cha doing?" continued Eugene in a smug voice.

Oh no.

The one flaw in their plan- the one thing Y/n hadn't remembered and factored into their plans.

Rapunzel can't lie.

"Doing?" Rapunzel stuttered with a nervous laugh. The gesture reminded Y/n of Varian- but without any of his dorky charm, like a cheap knock-off. "Uh, I wasn't doing anything!" Rapunzel leaned on the corner of the wall, keeping one hand behind her back and holding the journal with it.

"What do you got there?" asked Eugene hesitantly, trying to peer around Rapunzel.

"What?"

Varian grunted as Rapunzel quickly shoved the journal into his chest, before showing Eugene her other hand.

"Nothing... heh! Nothing!" she said, and the lack of subtlety in her voice made Y/n cringe. Pascal squeaked on her shoulder, seemingly sharing Y/n's sentiment.

"Right... okay." responded Eugene, bouncing back quickly. "I know you want to be alone, but Cass and I, we-" Have they found out about the serum yet?

Eugene paused, and Y/n saw Rapunzel giving him an awkward expression, caught in the act of trying to glance back at the teens following her. She laughed nervously, and Y/n had an overwhelming urge to hit someone in the head with the staff, if only to break the uncomfortable moment. Rapunzel? Eugene? Herself?

"You okay?" asked Eugene questioningly.

Rapunzel nodded enthusiastically. "Mm-hmm!"

"Rapunzel?" Eugene repeated, and she sighed.

"Eugene... how far would you go to find the truth?"

Don't snitch don't snitch don't snitch don't snitch don't snitch don't-

"Personally..." Eugene replied, "not very far." Oh thank Demanitus. "Frankly, the truth's not all it's cracked up to be." He paused. "Blondie, you sure you're alright?"

"Yeah, sorry." responded Rapunzel. "I've just... I've had a lot to process lately. I promise I'll talk when I'm ready, okay?"

She promised.

"Okay." Eugene agreed, still sounding unsure. "Just let me know if you need anything."

He began to walk down the hallway in the opposite direction, and Rapunzel quickly grabbed Varian and Y/n's hand, pulling them down the corridor behind her.

"Uh, Blondie..." Y/n could hear Eugene begin as he turned back around- but they were already gone.

─── ⋅ ∙ ∘ ☽ ༓ ☾ ∘ ⋅ ⋅ ───

"I found the entrance!" Varian called in a whisper, straining to move a metal cover to the side. "Down here!"

Y/n walked over to where Varian had uncovered a hole in the ground, leading down into a dark cavern. She passed him his staff back, which he took gratefully, and jumped down into the hole.

It was near pitch-black for a moment, before she looked back up at Varian, who hopped down into the hole as well, Ruddiger close on his heels.

Y/n caught him in her arms as he jumped down, and as he landed with his staff, he gazed up at Y/n in the multicolored light. Rapunzel jumped down after them.