It's not your fault | Mary Earps x reader

Summary; The qualifier match against the Netherlands didn't go exactly to plan even though they won and everyone is feeling it when that final whistle blows, especially Mary as she captains her team for the first time and you make sure she doesn't...

Summary; The qualifier match against the Netherlands didn't go exactly to plan even though they won and everyone is feeling it when that final whistle blows, especially Mary as she captains her team for the first time and you make sure she doesn't fall too deep.

Pairings; Mary Earps x lioness reader

Words; 2.2k

Warnings; angst and sadness

A/N; It broke my heart seeing Mary like that after the game, she did her absolute best and I hope she doesn't take it too hard and keeps her head up for the next game. So I thought I would write something that gave her a bit of imaginary comfort and projected what I would have done in that situation with her. (Also as much as I love Fran I am replacing her with the reader because in this you are a midfielder as well and we have to make some changes in this fake scenario)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

You had known Mary long enough to tell when she was nervous before a game, often sitting by herself quietly for a few minutes to collect her thoughts before joining the team and getting them pumped up. But today you could sense an extra level of worry and nerves flowing through her like never before.

She had a right to be nervous, of course. The Netherlands were tough opponents and she was captaining the Lionesses for the first time with both Leah and Millie absent from the team. She took the role seriously and with pride from the moment Sarina asked her to captain the English side in these qualifiers, you were so very proud of your partner and excited to take the field under her leadership. But now she was starting to worry you.

She had been quiet the whole day, stuck in her own head as she went over the tactics and game plans she had discussed with Sarina and the coaching staff over the past few days. You had tried talking to her all day and get her mind off the game for one second and enjoy the pre match activities with the team but it was no use. She politely brushed you off and you just knew there was no chance in getting her to relax so you let her be.

But now as you were preparing to line up in the tunnel for the match, you knew you had to pull her aside for even just a second and try and get her out of her head.

Mary had just delivered a beautiful and powerful speech to the entire team in the dressing room before they all began moving to the tunnel or the benches and readied to start the game, but before Mary could walk out you grabbed her wrist and pulled her silently to an empty hallway.

"What are you doing? We have to go and line up." Mary sighed as you came to a stop and leant against the wall, her standing in front of you.

"Mary, I need you to listen to me carefully, okay?" You stood up straighter, placing your hands onto her face. She nodded silently in confusion and waited for you to begin. "I need you to know that whatever happens out there, whether it goes our way or not. It's not only on you, okay?" You spoke sternly with strong eye contact, hoping the words make their way into her head and calm her down. "I'm so proud of you. You work so hard and you deserve to be captain today. But, I can tell that taking on this role has taken a toll on you for the past few days, and I want you to know that you're not alone and I'm always here for you. You are my world and I love you and whatever happens in these next 90 minutes, I am doing it with you. And so are the rest of those girls who look at you with as admiration as I do." You smiled sweetly as you finished, watching her visibly melt and relax. She lets the words process and pulls you into a tight hug.