Chapter 13 - A Mage and an Alchemist

Start from the beginning

The ghostly rats arrived at the last second, breaking through the wall next to the Mage and biting his left leg, shortly interrupting his dance.

The Mage screamed in pain as blood stained his yellow robes, but he endured the pain and danced, casting his spell. Fortunately, this small opening was enough for Moonless and Iron Shakespeare to close the distance.

Moonless bit the Mage's right leg, creating a gush of blood and causing him to scream in agony, as the sound of tearing flesh and the wolf's growls echoed through the tunnel.

The Mage stopped his dance, his legs too injured to perform such demanding movements. However, the Mage acted quickly, as Iron Shakespeare approached with heavy steps.

I took this moment to signal the Girl to follow me. We approached carefully, keeping a safe distance in this tight tunnel.

The Mage pointed his hand against the ground and cast Locust Swarm again, surrounding himself in a cloud of insects. I saw Moonless jumping out of the cloud as she shook herself, pushing away the insects.

Nevertheless, Iron Shakespeare did not care and advanced since the bugs could not get past his armor. The knight raised one of his flaming fists and struck it at the Mage's approximate location, creating a flaming explosion again.

I mentally screamed when I thought the Mage had died, but I sighed in relief when I noticed the lack of a body when the smoke cleared. The Mage had retreated deeper into the tunnel, raising his staff and slamming the butt of the object against the ground.

"Why ssserve Gro-Goroth?" I asked, continuing with my plan.

"Traits of Gro-Goroth are the strongest among the old gods. No other ancient being is so prominent in this era. Like all Mages, apprentices, and priests, I seek personal growth and greater powers. Gro-Goroth has the most to offer! And you can't please all the gods, can you?" The Mage replied.

Hum! I have been doing this since I entered this dungeon!

The tunnel walls opened, and four skeletons carrying mining equipment charged towards us. Iron Shakespeare punched the first skeleton into dust, but the second skeleton took advantage of this opening to pierce Iron Shakespeare's chest with his pickaxe.

The undead knight didn't care, as he was incapable of feeling pain, and smashed the second skeleton against the ground with the swing of his fist, and charged towards the Mage soon after, forcing him to cast spell after spell to keep him away.

Moonless busied herself with the third skeleton, leaving the fourth to me while the Mage prepared his spells, but he would run out of mind eventually.

"Girrrl, are you ready?" I asked the child next to me while holding Shark Teeth. The Girl nodded with determination and held her dagger with both hands, pointing it at the skeleton.

"Rememberrr what I taught you, aim for the legsss." I spoke before entering into combat with the skeleton.

The skeleton raised his pickaxe and lowered it immediately, aiming for my head, but I stepped to the side, dodging the blow that left a small hole in the ground, and cut the skeleton's left arm.

The Shark Teeth ripped out slivers of bone but did not destroy the arm, as it was forged to cut through soft flesh, not tough objects.

The Girl, on the other hand, had more luck in her attack, piercing the skeleton's knee directly at the joint, causing him to stagger back. I took advantage of this opening to attack the skeleton again, delivering a second blow and cutting off his left arm.

However, I jumped back right away, dodging a swing aimed at my right side.

The Girl removed her dagger from the skeleton's knee and ran to my side, watching as the skeleton walked with difficulty due to the weight of his weapon and injured leg.