Chapter 14: Out Sourced Tutoring

Start from the beginning

"Are you going to attack?"

That's not how that went, Kugisaki.

But fine, since it didn't look like she would take the initiative, you'd give in and attack first.

You started first by closing the distance, executing a swift cross. While hoping this would catch her off guard, Kugisaki was fast enough to block.

Not fast enough. And she left herself open.

"Hey...! Hey...wait—!"

After an uppercut, a cross, and a low kick later, Kugisaki came tumbling down onto the grass with a muffled cry and then a wince.

"Nice, [Name]!" Panda praised from the outskirts of your circle.

This only ticked Kugisaki off, who gritted her teeth and scrambled up off the ground.

"Again!" She demanded.

You looked to Maki, who watched with arms crossed and a bemused expression. She jutted her chin out silently, and you took it as a blessing to engage Kugisaki once more.

"Alright," you mumbled, reaching down and pulling the ends of your laces undone.

"What are you doing?" Kugisaki asked, dumbfounded.

"Taking off my shoes," you told her.

You could practically feel her eyebrow twitch despite looking down at the ground, "I can see that. What I mean is, why the hell are you taking off your shoes?"

You slipped off one shoe with your other shoe, tossing it close by for later retrieval. "So it doesn't hurt more when I kick you. Or do you want to fight on hard mode?"

"How sweet of you to consider my feelings. And they say chivalry is dead."

You'd pretend that didn't sound sarcastic.

"I wish I could say the same," you peeled off your last shoe and tossed it away, thanking yourself for wearing dark socks today. Grass stains would be a pain to get out of white socks. "I can tone it down if you'd like."

"Hmm..."

Kugisaki pondered for a few seconds before heaving a sigh.

"There's no point in that if the goal is so I can get better at it," spoken like someone who Maki had brainwashed, "so it's fine if you don't hold back."

You wouldn't hold back out of respect for her wishes and pride. Although you weren't going to pummel her, just secure the win.

You found your footing on the grass now that your traction was gone. You never realized how well cared-for the grass was here on the field.

"Alright," you replied, readying your stance.

This time, you'd go for a slightly different approach. Kugisaki wasn't a close combater, but that didn't mean she wasn't observant. The same thing wouldn't work twice on her, as she'd be ready to try and counter your move.

You immediately launched yourself at Kugisaki once you saw that she was ready. While anticipating your initiative, she hadn't been expecting the sudden switch. You went for a grapple rather than throwing out a jab, punch, or kick.

Kugisaki tried to grab hold of you as well in an attempt to pull you off her, but it was too late. Using the momentum and your difference in stature and weight, you flipped yourself and Kugisaki over, trying your best not to burden her with all your weight but enough to pin her down.

"Agk! What the hell...?"

She craned her head to try and meet your gaze, but given the position you were both in, she could not. "You...said..."