P R O L O G U E

to lose someone you love is to lose someone forever...

"You don't have to go, you know," James told her, folding the last bit of clothes

"You don't have to go, you know," James told her, folding the last bit of clothes. They had spent the day getting the house cleaned up. Harry had been...rather difficult the past week. Waking up screaming his head off every night, nothing seeming to help. It was an adjustment for all three of them, this new life they led. They were hidden away, in a specific location that only a few knew about and only one could divulge. Hiding was easy when you knew it meant keeping your family safe but hard when it meant not seeing the ones you love as often.

"I do," Ophelia countered, a sad smile on her face. Today was Coralena LaPaul's funeral. She didn't know the details as to what happened, and she wasn't sure she cared. When someone turns on you in such a gruesome and public way, you can't just forget about it. But she couldn't not go, that wasn't an option. As devastating as the betrayal had been, Coralena had played such an important part in Ophelia's time at Hogwarts. She could at the very least say goodbye.

She remembered it like it happened yesterday. Coralena had tried to take everything from her, for reasons she still didn't fully understand. Lucius Malfoy had her under his thumb, and the girl had been ready to bend to his every will. They had tried to warn her but she didn't seem to want to listen. Ophelia was heartbroken, first she lost Reggie, her best friend - a ruthless and unfair death at the hands of Fenrir Greyback - and then her parents had all but disowned her when she was turned into a werewolf. And now this? While Coralena and Ophelia had been distant, Ophelia never saw this coming.

Coralena tried to put a wedge between Ophelia and James - a relationship that was still raw and new, not solidified and easy to waver - by manipulating her emotions. She wanted Ophelia to believe that James couldn't love her for who she was, but he could. And he did, he always would. It didn't take long for Ophelia and James to sort out the truth, to figure out that the message left on the table had been left by Coralena and not James. But the confrontation had escalated into something more than either of them had expected.

A betrayal on a level that she could have never had predicted. Coralena had let Death Eater's into Hogwarts. Death Eater's. On behalf of Greyback, Coralena had set out to bring Ophelia to them, to either join them or utilize as a weapon. In the end, neither had happened. Student after student joined in the fight and by the end, it wasn't worth it just to get the one. They had vanished as quickly as they appeared, leaving the students confused and terrified.

And yet, a part of her - a very small part of her - felt she owed something to Coralena. Even after everything. She knew that if it were an option, James would go with her to the funeral in a heartbeat. There was no talking her out of it, he knew that, but he could try. His priority - next to Harry - had always been her safety.

Harry had been a terrifying blessing that neither of them were prepared for, not in the slightest. Yeah, they married early, by choice but also because of the impending war that surrounded them. They wanted nothing more than to be wed to each other forever, but fear was powerful enough of a motivator to speed up the process a bit. And then Harry was a whole other story.