[8] Da Drüben

Our footsteps sounded like the beat of a steady drum as we passed through the narrow trench. It was so crowded. I could practically feel the body heat of the other men. Many of them were steadying themselves on the side of the trench, ready to take off and fly over the top. The truck driver was stopped by a stubby, middle aged sergeant. I tried not to laugh since the poor lad looked like an angry old goblin.
"Where are you lot going?" He demanded, eyes grazing over us.
"These boys have an urgent message from the colonel." The driver said.
The sergeant looked us up and down before shaking his head vigorously.
"You'll have to wait until the first wave has gone over, chaps."
"Sir we can't. The message is to call off the attack. We cannot sit here and wait for the first wave to go over. We've got to get to the colonel." I insisted.
"I don't know what to tell you lads." He said, shrugging.
I was extremely frustrated at how he didn't seem to understand what the word "urgent" meant.
"Sir, please. We've come from the front lines to deliver this message, now we need to see the colonel!" I shouted.
"Do not raise your voice at me, corporal! You're going to have to wait, goddamn it!"
I glanced over at the driver who gave me a shrug and a look of sympathy. 
I turned around and looked at the others,
"Come with me."
"What are we going to do?" Karl asked.
"We're going to walk as fast as humanly possible until we reach Colonel Heinzens dugout." I instructed.
Turning to the driver I asked him where Heinzens dugout was.
"Should be just up the line a bit. But I doubt you boys will make it in time."
"Thank you, sir."
He nodded and gave a salute before turning and disappearing into the vastness of soldiers.
We dashed through the crowded trench, bumping into men as we went.
"Watch it!"
"Hey, watch where you're going!"
"Excuse you."
"Oy, you could've taken my teeth out with that!"
They all said when we ran into them.
"There's no way in hell we're going to make it in time!" Karl shouted from behind me.
Before I could think of a response, the whistle was blown and the first wave of men went over the top. They were singing and yelling as they ran.
Shit.
I felt a sudden burst of adrenaline come over me. I knew we had to do something. We had to make it to that dugout, no matter what it took. I was going to get us there.
I barreled through the trench, not caring who I hit or knocked over. The five of us had lives to save. It felt like my whole body had been set on fire. Every muscle in me ached and throbbed. But I couldn't stop now. I had to stop this attack. I had to save these men. I had to spare their families the pain and grief they would endure if their husbands, brothers, or sons were sent into this trap of an attack. I had to keep my word to General Ziegel. The man was counting on us.
I plowed through the soldiers who were getting ready to go over. Many of them cursed at me or just simply yelled and shook their fist.
I tripped and fell over my own feet as well as the other men's feet numerous times. I had fallen down so many times that I didn't even notice my hands and face were bleeding.
A sudden explosion sent me into the air. I smacked my head on the side of the trench and fell hard onto the ground. The wind got knocked out of my lungs. I desperately gasped for air and dug my fingers into the dirt to distract myself from the lack of oxygen. I groaned in agony and frustration. The blood on my face started to dry and became crusty. I was trying my best not to break into tears and cry. That's when I remembered the sight of Noah carrying Leon on his back. The boy was so determined to save his life, just like I was determined to save these men's lives. I took a deep breath and picked myself up off the ground, dusted my uniform off, and mustered up all the strength I had left in me. I kept telling myself I was almost there. I'm almost there. Just a little bit longer. You're almost there, Peter. Almost there.