Chapter IX

Rhysand

Azriel appears out of a cloud of shadows, nearly scaring the shit out of me.

"By the Mother, Az," I snap. "Don't do that."

"Sorry." But my brother doesn't sound remotely apologetic.

I set down the papers I was reading and stand from my chair, walking around the desk until I'm before my brother. "And to what do I owe the pleasure of your visit? I thought you were staying in the Spring Court with Gwyn."

Az Looks at me with a frankness that I'm not totally used to, even after knowing him for the better part of five hundred years. "I need a favor."

"Name it." 

"Gwyn and I were wondering if you and Feyre had any people, guards or the like, who can open doors and stand around when the other High Lords come to Spring."

I frown, tucking my hands into the pockets of my pants. "Can I ask why?"

Azriel clasps his hands behind his back, ever the respectful and collected Spymaster. "Gwyn wants to appear more formal for this meeting and we haven't had time to go hire some of our own. And since Amaris killed all the ones Tamlin had, we have no one."

The shadow of anger rises within me at the mention of what that prick Tamlin did and tried to do to my son and daughter. Three months later and I still can't stop thinking about it. The panic I felt when I realized that I didn't know where they were. Azriel had tracked them to outside the Illyrian camp's protective wards, but they were already gone by the time we got there. So were the bastards that lured them out there in the first place. 

I had never felt so helpless than I did in that moment. If it weren't for Feyre, I don't think I could've stopped myself from unleashing my power and destroying everything in my path just to find them.

My brother watches me with a knowing look, likely guessing where my thoughts had gone. I wasn't the only one in a frenzy to find Nyx and Amaris, the whole family was. Though Az kept his composure far better than I did, the icy-wrath that his eyes held was a truly frightening thing to behold.  

I clear my throat, banishing the past for now and focusing on the present. "Yes. I'll send some people to Spring tomorrow morning."

Azriel nods his head in thanks. But he doesn't leave. Doesn't rush back to the Spring Court to where I'm sure his mate is waiting for him. Instead, he stands stoically still, eyes boring into me. I straighten. "What is it?"

"Kallias and Vivianne will be there," he deadpans. Azriel doesn't mince words, just tells the simple truth. Sometimes it's helpful. Other times it can be frustrating to be told the things that maybe you don't want to hear. Right now might be one of those other times.

Leaning back against my desk, I bow my head slightly, not meeting my brother's gaze, and sigh. "I know."

"Have you had any luck getting them to meet with you?" He asks.

I turn and look out the window to the star-filled night sky. Things with the Winter Court have been rough. Yes, we got them to help with finding Amaris and Nyx, but that was it. They're still pissed and refusing to meet with me and Feyre to try to ease the tensions between our two Courts.

"No," I tell Az, shaking my head. "At this point I'm almost convinced that even though they know we didn't destroy that library, Kallias and Vivianne just don't like us."

"What does Mor think? Has she had any contact with Vivianne?"

I scoff, feeling a headache gathering behind my eyes. "Mor has been galavanting around the Continent for years, I doubt she keeps in touch with Vivianne any more than she does with us."