Chapter 25: The Long-Awaited Response

Start from the beginning

Violet and Eloise Bridgerton, renowned for their esteemed family lineage, engaged in lively conversation with Lady Danbury, whose sharp tongue and keen observations were legendary amongst the ton. Cressida and Lady Cowper, added their own contributions to the spirited discourse that filled the air.

As they indulged in delicate pastries and fragrant tea, the topic turned to the hunting competition that had occupied the men's attention earlier that day. Speculations abounded as to who would emerge victorious, each lady voicing her own opinion with a mixture of amusement and anticipation.

Suddenly, a hushed murmur rippled through the gathering as a footman approached Queen Charlotte, his demeanor deferential yet urgent. The Queen's regal countenance remained unchanged as she listened intently to the footman's whispered message, her gaze flickering momentarily towards Penelope.

With a graceful nod, Queen Charlotte granted permission for the Duke of Northumberland's audience. As Thomas Debling, resplendent in his tailored attire, approached the gathering, all eyes turned towards him, curiosity evident in their expressions. The duke's huffing of breath did not go unnoticed to the prying eyes of the ladies. Still, he approached with an air of polite deference, his expression apologetic as he addressed the Queen.

"Your Majesty." He began, bowing respectfully. "Please accept my sincerest apologies for intruding upon your tea gathering without an invitation. I assure you, it was not my intention to disrupt the proceedings."

The Queen regarded him with a measured gaze, her eyes studying his features intently before she spoke. "Duke Thomas Debling.. Hmm. Still dashing despite having a bruise on your face, I see." The other ladies in attendance chuckled with the Queen's statement, as they totally agree on the observation. Debling can only smile awkwardly as he could feel all stares at him.

"So, to what do we owe the honor of your presence, your Grace?" Queen Charlotte asks.

Debling swallows as he answers the royal with determination. "I wish to speak with Miss Featherington, your Majesty, if you permit." There were shared glances among the ladies present at the gathering. Queen Charlotte took a minute before answering back the duke. She took a glance at Penelope to see her reaction.

"You may speak with Miss Featherington." The Queen continues with her tone neutral yet discerning. "But only if she agrees to it. Is this matter truly urgent enough to warrant your intrusion?" Queen Charlotte inquires.

Penelope Featherington, sensing the gravity of the situation, stepped forward, her curiosity piqued by Duke Debling's unexpected arrival. "It must be a matter of some importance if the duke has felt compelled to interrupt your tea party, your Majesty. I am willing to hear what he has to say, my Queen." The redhead remarked, her voice calm but curious.

The Queen nodded in approval at Penelope's response, granting her consent for the Duke of Northumberland to speak with her. "Very well, my emerald had spoken." Queen Charlotte said, her tone firm yet fair. "You may have your moment, Duke Debling. But remember, it is Miss Featherington's discretion whether she wishes to engage further.

Duke Debling bowed deeply in gratitude to the Queen before turning his attention to Penelope, his expression earnest and determined. They took a few steps away from where the ladies' groups were situated, but still within view from their eyes as to remain following propriety and decorum. '

"Penelope." Thomas began with his voice tinged with urgency.

Penelope Featherington's heart skipped a beat as she noticed the book in Duke Debling's hand, the same book she had given to him during their promenade weeks ago. A small glimmer of hope flickering within her as she realized the significance of his presence.