••••《 4 - Quiver 》

Start from the beginning

I walk up onto the sidewalk and up to the entrance doors. I peer in at everyone hard at work before I swing open the door and walk in. I look around and spot Robby at a coffee machine, setting things up to perfection. With a sudden excitement, I begin walking towards him.

"Robby!" I call out. His eyes dart up towards me and he makes a bit of a confused face, but a slight smile still sits upon his face.

"Ember? What are you doing here?" He says quickly. "You need to be careful. You don't have anyone with you to help." I suddenly lift the lunchbox up and stop right in front of him, cutting him off from going on.

"I made you lunch so you could have something to eat." I explain as he gently take the lunch box out of my hand. He chuckles.

"Well, thank you, but I don't know if you should be here. I don't want to get in trouble, you know?" He tells me, I begin nodding profusely.

"Yeah, sorry! I didn't mean to. It's just-" I'm suddenly cut off as a woman walks up to us and calls for Robby. A man, sulking, follows behind her.

"Robby." The woman says, a slight smile on her face. Robby and I look up at her.

"Oh, Mrs. LaRusso! Hi!" Robby exclaims, nervously.

"I need to talk to you about another job we need you to do. After today's incident with Louie, we're going to make him do the stuff with the coffee." Her eyes flick to the man who I'm guessing is 'Louie.' "And what do you say to poor Robby?"

"I'm sorry. What I did was immature and not an okay thing to do." Louie grumbles. Amanda lightly places her hand onto Robby's back and leads him away from Louie. I quickly follow behind. Once we stop, Mrs. LaRusso finally notices me.

"Who are you?" She says, raising and eyebrow and scanning her eyes over me.

"Oh, Mrs. LaRusso! This is my sister, Ember." Robby explains. "She just came by to drop me off some lunch. It was very thoughtful of her."

"I see." Mrs. LaRusso mutters as she continues to stare at me, she looks panicked and a bit worried.

"She can go!" Robby exclaims, looking back at me. He looks terrified. I think he's worried about getting fired. I begin nodding, not wanting to be the cause of Robby being fired.

"Yeah! I can if you need me to!" I shout out to Mrs. LaRusso. She lightly shakes her head.

"You don't have to. You can stay in one of the offices until your brother gets off work if you want." I watch her eyes move down towards my slim stomach and boney arms. "Do you want anything to eat or drink?" My eyes move towards Robby. Food and I don't have the best relationship, but I know I need it. Before I can say something, Robby butts in.

"If it's not a problem, she could get a coffee and the lunch she packed." Robby explains.

"Oh, no, no, she can get something from the mini fridge in the room where we hold meetings." Mrs. LaRusso smiles. "Save the lunch for yourself, Robby. Now I need you to go and mop the floors. Before you do, go check on Louie and see if he's doing work." Robby nods. He looks at me one more time.

"I'll try to get done with my work as fast as possible so we can go home, okay?" He gives me a soft, comforting smile. I nod.

"Uh, Ember, right?" Mrs. LaRusso says. "This way." She says, gently placing her hand on my back just as she did for Robby. Her hand is barely even directing me though, as if she doesn't want to harm me. She leads me into the meeting room and shows me where the mini fridge is to get some snacks and drinks. As she explains, I pull out my inhaler, taking a pump. "You have-" I finish it before she can.

"Asthma." I nod as I say it and take my second pump. I quickly put it back in my pocket. Mrs. LaRusso nods and explains a few more things before leaving me by my lonesome.

She seems like a lovely woman... And she seems like an even better mom.

▪︎

☆ Scene Three - When Robby goes to the LaRusso's: ☆

"So he just gave you Daniel LaRusso's address?" I ask as Robby and I walk down the sidewalk towards the LaRusso's house. Robby has an envelope in hand that he was instructed to give to Daniel by Louie.

"Yeah, he said it was really important." Robby shrugs. It's silent for a moment until Robby suddenly starts speaking again. "So how was Mrs. LaRusso with you? Did anything happen?"

"She kept looking at me oddly. She also asked me about my asthma, but I'm not surprised. I mean, look at you, Robby, you're super strong and the average size for your age. I'm a year younger than you and I'm complete stick and bone. I look like a skeleton." I shake my head. "She was nice though, I just don't like how she was looking at me."

"I'm sure she didn't mean it." Robby sighs as we stop right in front of the LaRusso's house. Robby turns to me. "I'm just going to quickly run this in to Mr. LaRusso. You stay right here, okay?" I nod. Robby smiles, quickly messing with my hair, and then running off.

I sit down on the sidewalk, the sun is finally setting and it's the perfect temperature outside. It feels amazing and I begin to realize that I love it. I love nature and weather and the outdoors. I catch myself daydreaming and before I know it, I've been waiting for Robby for ten minutes. I make my way up, away from the curb and walk the same path Robby did to find Mr. LaRusso. I just want to make sure he's okay. I peer into the little shed area he entered, watching as Mr. LaRusso shows him what looks like a karate move. I watch, my eyes in awe. Leaning in more and more until I tumble into the entrance. Suddenly both Robby and Mr. LaRusso freeze and look at me.

"Who are you?" He blurts out.

"Ember! Are you okay? I'm sorry- I got distracted in conversation!" Robby bolts over to me and helps me up. "Mr. LaRusso, this is my little sister. She was waiting for me."

"I'm okay, Robby... It was just a small fall." I express, ignoring the fact that it knocked the wind out of me. I look to Mr. LaRusso, "It's wonderful to finally meet you Mr. LaRusso... Sorry I fell, I was mesmerized by whatever you were doing... Was it karate?" Suddenly, he beams.

"Yes!" He says, leading Robby and I further into the small training area. "Do you two want to stay for a few minutes and pick up some tricks?"

"Ember should probably sit it out-" Robby begins speaking for me.

"Well, at least let her catch some breath." Mr. LaRusso explains, Robby nodding in agreement. Mr. LaRusso seems nice and loving... Just like his wife, he seems like the perfect parent. It makes me dream about the life I just wish I could have. The life that I long for. The one that Robby and I have deserved since the day we were born, but were apparently never ever blessed with.

I want to know what he's doing though. Maybe this is a chance to get stronger... To be normal again.

"Okay, well, while we wait, why don't you still show up some of the cool moves you can do." I feel myself smile, not even caring about the pain. "I'm so curious..."