-Chapter Fifteen- Enemy

Start from the beginning

"Okay." said Varian triumphantly. "We're almost ready."

"Did you decide how we're going to distribute the serum?" asked Y/n with a smirk- she had left that part up to him.

"Well..." Varian grinned. "I did say that I'd show you how to bake, didn't I?"

Y/n gave him a curious look. "And... what exactly is this new serum going to do?"

Varian's grin grew into something more sinister. "We should confirm where the flower is, just for safety, but this needs to be a distraction as well- so I think it's time for the people of Corona to tell the truth."

─── ⋅ ∙ ∘ ☽ ༓ ☾ ∘ ⋅ ⋅ ───

A few more hours and a pan of cookies later, they were ready to leave.

Varian had his satchel over his shoulder with Ruddiger around his neck, and Y/n picked up his staff as he walked over to the door, holding it in one hand and gazing upwards at the vials tied to the top.

"May I, milady?" Varian asked with a smile, reaching for the staff. Y/n pulled it away with a laugh.

"Who knows?" she asked. "Maybe I want to keep it."

Varian laughed. "I'd offer you a cookie for it, but..."

Y/n smiled at him, her body tensed with excitement over what they were about to do. "I suppose I shall allow you to reclaim this staff, by the graciousness of my heart."

She tapped him on the shoulders with the staff, as if she were knighting him, before handing it over.

He took it, tossed it from one hand to another, and held out his free hand to Y/n with a smile.

She took it, and they began to walk out of the house, blinking in the dimming light as the sun had begun to sink lower in the sky.

"We can take (H/n)." said Y/n, and Varian gave her a confused look before she clarified. "My horse. Should this go wrong... we may need to get out fast."

The two walked down the steps to where (H/n) was resting, in the wreckage of what used to be a stable. Y/n had taken breaks to feed her over the past few days, but black rocks had begun to rise from the ground around her, and she was looking increasingly panicked as the rocks were tearing down the buildings around her.

Y/n picked up her saddle from where it was resting, laid across a black rock, and she secured it to (H/n), who grumbled quietly.

She led her from the stable and used a black rock to kick herself into the saddle. Y/n noticed an increase in her hair's glow when her boot made contact with the rock, but nothing else happened. You're not nearly lucky enough for any magic- that's all for your sister, evidently.

Varian took Y/n's hand as she extended it and got up on the horse behind her, one arm around her waist as he held his staff and satchel with the other, Ruddiger balancing on his shoulders.

Y/n kicked the sides of the saddle, and (H/n) began to move.

"When do we expect to reach the palace?" asked Varian, his voice cold as they passed through the shadows of black rocks that had now completely overtaken Old Corona. "I don't typically go on horseback."

Y/n squinted at the sinking sun. "We can probably get there around sunset at this pace."

"Perfect."

Varian paused for a brief moment, and Y/n could feel his arm tighten around her waist as he asked "Do you think that this is going to work?", his voice quiet.