Exposed

Chapter 9:

(Sofia POV)

"H-Hugo," I felt my eyes blink open. I looked down and saw that I was in my nightgown. My stomach began to burn and pain overtook my body. The events of the evening began to come back. I heard someone running toward me and came into the bed causing me to let out a groan of pain. 

"Sofia, you're awake" Hugo began holding my hand. I let my head roll to the side to look at Hugo and gave him a small smile. I tried to sit up but began to whimper in pain, "Hey, hey, hey easy Sofia." He then began to arrange the pillows and helped me sit up. It was still painful but, it wasn't as bad. I sighed as I leaned into the pillows. 

Hugo wrapped his arms around me and it felt so good but began to hurt. I saw Garrick in the corner of the room, "Dad, I think Hugo is going to reopen my stitches." Hugo released me, they were both taken aback, "You called me Dad." I nodded my head, I had heard him talking about his wife, he had already lost one child I wanted him to know that he now had another. He smiled as he came over and squeezed my other hand. 

I turned my attention toward Hugo. "You," I whispered. He looked at me confused and I let out a small laugh but it hurt so I stopped, "You asked me what I wanted. All I want is you." "You heard me," I nodded. I then realized I was on Hugo's side of the bed I leaned over to his table and grabbed it. "I gave this to you so that you can always find me," I said holding the compass, "You are the only one I ever want to find me." I placed it in his hand.

I then looked at both of them, "Did you hear everything we talked about?" I nodded. "Sofia we need to talk about what is happening with the advisors" Garrick said. I nodded acknowledging what they were asking. They turned toward each other, "We have the evidence that she is a Beaumont and that ties her to the people who killed my wife" Garrick began. "We also have evidence that they want me to marry Lady Eliza Cunningham and that they take the throne if we abdicate." Hugo said. "What we need is..." I felt like I knew what was coming but I really hoped I was wrong, "to know what has been going on with you in your training."

(Hugo POV)

When she said my name it felt like my heart started beating again and with every groan or pain-filled look that came across her face my anger grew. She had heard me when she was out and I was so relieved and then she handed me the compass, her wedding gift to me. I made a vow to myself to carry this in my pocket from now on.

I knew what I had to do to keep Sofia safe. I had the motive, I had the proof that Countess Cunningham is a Beaumont and that her daughter is Lady Eliza. All I needed was to know that her training with Sofia was not constructive in preparing her to be Queen and that she was intentionally going after Sofia physically and psychologically. 

"What we need is to know what has been going on in your training," I said. I looked in her eyes and saw them fill with panic. She began violently shaking her head and then started to clutch her chest as she threw her head back in pain. "Sofia, please calm down." I begged, grabbing onto her arm. I then saw the doctor walk next to me, I turned and saw her maid Sarah walk back in. "I'm sorry, I thought I should grab the doctor," I nodded towards her. It made sense and she had done the right thing.

The doctor began examining her. He removed the bandages on her stomach. It had reopened and began bleeding again. He quickly stitched it back up and rewrapped it. He then took out a needle, "What is that?" I asked. He turned toward me, "It is to help with the pain and prevent infection." I nodded and watched as it went into Sofia's arm. The tension in her face began to dissipate. "I will be back soon to check on you later." He said bowing as he exited.

Sofia the turned to look at me, her eyes were filled with tears, "Hugo I-I-I am scared of what she might do." I closed my eyes and let out a breath. She didn't deserve to live through it the first time much less have to relive it. "Sofia, if you don't tell us, if you don't tell everyone what she is doing then there is nothing we can do to stop her." She nodded her head.