Chapter Thirty-Eight

Start from the beginning

“It is Thursday,” Shane reminded her. “Don’t you have work?”

“I didn’t think I was allowed to go?” Claire replied and hugged Shane’s arm when he tried to pull away. “Aren’t I under house-arrest?”

“Well,” Shane drawled on and Claire raised his arm a little so she could see him as he smirked down at her. “After you and Mickey had that nuclear bomb explosion last night, I sat the frightened puppy down and had a man-to-man chat with him.”

“Stop stalling,” Claire snapped and leant on her elbow to look down at him. Her hair dangled in her face and Shane smiled as he pushed it behind her ear. “What did he say?”

He smiled mischievously and let out a deep breath before rolling off the bed. “Come on,” He nodded towards the door.

“Where are you going?” Claire called after him and pushed herself to the end of the bed. Shane looked over his shoulder at her.

We, are getting breakfast, and then we’ll talk.”

* * *

 Claire felt incredibly awkward as she sat across from Michael. 

He didn’t look at her; instead he kept his eyes on the plate of pancakes Eve had put in front of him. Shane stifled a laugh next to Claire, and Eve kicked his shin from under the table.

“Ouch,” Shane complained as he glared up at her. “No need to go starting fights. We’re all above that.” All three of Shane’s housemates groaned, and he looked at all of them with a confused look to his face. “What?”

“Anyway,” Claire interrupted and looked down at her pancakes, picking at them with her fork. She tried to sound casual. “Shane wanted to say something?”

“Actually, Michael does,” Shane spoke up, and Claire looked up at him with raised eyebrows.

“Michael?” Claire asked and looked back down at her food. “What does he want to tell me?”

“After you so brutally yelled at him last night,” Shane started but was interrupted by Michael. 

“I’ve got this,” Michael said and put his knife down. He sighed and looked across at Claire. She glanced up at him and occupied herself by picking at her pancakes again. “I thought about what you said last night, and you’re right.”

“I am?” Claire looked up at him, surprised 

“Yes, you are. You’re eighteen and you should be able to be given the same rights that everyone else in this house gets. Just, one thing,”

“Saw this coming,” Claire mumbled and reached for her glass of orange juice.

“No, come on. Just for a little while, okay?”

“Okay. What do I have to do?”

“You don’t have to do anything,” Michael said. “We just want to make sure that you don’t get a bat to the back of your head.”

“So, you’re suggesting what exactly?”

“That you have someone to tag along with you. Don’t start,” Michael added the last part when Claire groaned and slumped back into the chair. “It’s better than being locked away in the house all day, isn’t it?”

“I guess,” Claire mumbled. “Who’s coming with me to work today?”

“Not Michael,” Shane piped in. “I think he’s still a little scared from your outburst.

"Claire rolled her eyes, “Eve then?”

“Guess again.” Eve said. “I’m working.”

“Oh God,” Claire groaned and put her hands over her face.