Road of decline (chapter 2)

You closed your door and followed price down the dimly lit hallway , very few soldiers lurking around as they were finishing late night training and kept close behind on his trail. Your boots hitting in sync with his on the floor as you both walked at a swift pace , passing other soldiers that lied about doing their own thing. As you followed in suit he made his way to his office and you looked at him before stopping at the door while he walked in and as he stepped in and turned to see you had not followed he gave a small reassurance nod.
''Step in''
He beckoned and you gave a small nod as you stepped in and closed the door behind you.
''We managed to get a call going to your sister so you can check in , i know you've been a bit worried.''
He spoke as he handed you a phone and your eyes narrowed a bit.
''How do you-''
''The call is safe , lines are secure and its a burner so no one can track through the call on both ends.''
He cut you off , already knowing you were concerned about that.

You had your one burner phone to call your sister with but you were never too sure but Once he reassured you he gave a small nod and he stepped out of the room wanting to give you privacy as you talk to your sister and he closed the door behind him gently and the room stood silent now. As you looked around the office seeing his desk and chair along with a few other things you'd find in a office you sat down at the small chair he had next to it and you took a deep breath before putting your ear up to the phone.

''Hello?''
You started waiting for a reply.
After a few seconds your heart that soft familiar voice you've known all too well.
''y/n?''
The young girl's voice came through the other end and a small smile spread across your face as your worries subsided for a bit.
''Raven..''
You sounded relieved.
''Hows things been going with uncle jeff and aunty lis ?''
You asked and she spoke up.
''Its okay , we went to the movies for a bit and came back home.''
She replied quietly and you shifted in your seat.
''Did you get the money i sent you a few days ago?''
You pointed out as you had sent most of your paycheck that you had gotten last week practically.
''I did but when will you be home?''
She asked and you sighed.

You knew that she was upset , you could hear it in her tone and you knew all too well that this feeling lied very deep within her. You knew she wanted you but she also didn't understand the risks with your job , you never wanted to tell her about the things that go on , you didn't want any of that to be near her so you kept it short and simply with her as always. You did it to try and protect , as much as you wanted to tell her what was happening around and why you took so long you couldn't as it would jeopardize her safety and much more. It was bad enough that there were risks already there with that.

''Soon raven , you know it takes time when i come off missions and such but i really do miss you.''
You answered her question but she sighed and you knew that your answer wasn't enough to satisfy her.
''I miss you too but When are you coming back though? You always say youll be back but your never around , you kinda dumped me off here and said fuck all''
She hissed and you felt yourself grow quiet for a moment before speaking up again.
''I didn't mean to , i'm trying to support you as best as i can. You know my job holds certain risks and such and i'm sorry i cannot support you but im trying raven i really am.''
Your voice was soft as you responded.
''Why can't you just get a new job? Why can't you leave already? I want to be with you not with uncle jeff or aunt lis....''
She spoke up again.
''You kinda dipped and just when I needed you most , I still need you now. I hate that you basically abandoned me.''
She ranted a bit and you grew guilty.
''Raven you know its not like that.''
You tried defending yourself.
''It fucking is okay, bad enough mom an dad didnt give a damn about us but they left and you are leaving too.''
She voiced , her tone growing a bit weak and emotional as she was growing teary eyed on the other end.

''I left because i had no fucking choice raven , i left and joined to try and give you a better life and im still trying my best. I cannot be there for you now but i am trying my best in moments like these okay i really fucking am , i didnt ask for this either and im making the most of it..''
Your voice raised.
''Do you even care about me? Aside from your giving me money but thats it? Where the fuck is the emotional needs? Im stuck here feeling like shit okay , i feel alone , i feel left behind and i feel lost okay. I wouldnt feel like this if maybe youd just fucking quit and see me again.''
She snapped as she finally broke and so did you.
''I didnt fucking ask for this either but catch me a break okay im trying''
she grew quiet , not speaking another word as you repeated the same thing trying to get it through to her.
''I wish things were normal..''
She spoke up again.
''Im sorry okay...i just..just hang in there alright? Ill see you soon okay? i love you...''
You say softly before hearing nothing but a small beep as the call ended.
You took the phone away from your ear and dropped your hand down and you leaned back in the chair and kept silent as tears filled your eyes and you let off a deep breath before price stepped in the room seeing the state you were in.

His gaze softened and he walked over to you as he watched you stand up and as he offered a silent embrace and you quietly leaned into him and hugged him tightly.
''Im sorry kiddo...''
He rubbed your back gently and offered you comfort.
You were like a daughter to him as the same for he was like a father to you. As you were hugging into him the smell of pine and mint clouded your senses , a comforting smell that you didn't mind entering your system , the warmth of his body around yours.
''Your trying your hardest..thats what counts.''
He kept hugging you , both of you staying in that positions for awhile.

For comfort you seeked to which you found but your worries now lingered still keeping arond. Things were falling ar rapid decline for once could get up and define.