Chapter Twenty-six: Familial bond

Louis

I AM ANXIOUS beyond words. My palms are shaking, sweaty, and cold. My thoughts are all jittery. I am jittery. Gosh, it's not like this is the first time that I'm gonna meet a friend's parents. But that's the problem, Athena is not just a friend. At least to me, she's not. 

It's been three days since Athena has dropped the bomb that her parents would like to meet us. All of us. Including Connor and Lindsay. Knowing that I'm not the only one they're meeting diminishes some of the nerves but I'm getting the feeling that Athena only invited the other two because she doesn't want me to be all nervous and act fool in front of her parents. 

"Hey, it'll be okay." I turn my head to the side to see Linds coming up beside me. She reaches out and holds my hand in hers. Surprisingly, her hand feels warm. "They're good people," she says reassuringly. 

"I know they are." I released a shaky breath. I know they are. I read every article I could find about them, to know who they are. I know they're not bad people because of how Athena came to be. "But I'm scared they might not like me."

"They will. Trust me." She smiles and that's not just any smile. That's a smile that says Linds knows exactly what she's saying. "They already do." 

"Huh? What do you---" My words were cut off when the double doors before us opened and revealed a lean man in his mid-50s wearing a black tie and black framed glasses.

"Good evening, young masters and miss." It takes me a while to register that this man is the butler. I thought he was Uncle Troy or Joanne. "The Vassils are waiting for you in the dining hall."

I blew out a breath and we all entered their foyer. This house is big. And when I say big, I meant big big. It's a whole mansion. The interior was painted beige, that's why despite the chandelier dangling in the ceiling, it still feels homey. 

The butler leads us to the dining hall where I saw two men and Athena arranging the plates and the food on the table. The butler clears his throat, making our presence known. Athena beams at the sight of us and she runs to our direction. She hugs Lindsay and waves hi to Connor and me. I feel a pang of jealousy that Lindsay got to feel the warmth of her arms but I ignore it when I realize the eyes of the other people are on us. I gulp in response.

 "Good evening, sirs." Luckily, we have Connor to save us all from the awkward silence. He steps forward and pays respect to them by reaching for their hands and placing his forehead on each of them. 

Linds and I followed suit. When it was my turn, a sudden pang of guilt hit my chest. It was gone before I even got to analyze it. I frowned involuntarily but was able to smoothen out my features when I pulled away. 

"Please, help yourselves," Mr. Troy welcomed, gesturing to the food on the table. 

We took our place around the table. Lindsay and Athena are next to each other while Connor and I are on the opposite of them. Athena and I are facing each other while her father, Mr. Joanne, is on her right side. Mr. Troy takes the head of the table. 

We began our meal quietly. No one dares to utter a word. Whether because of the good food or something else, I can't point it out. The first person to break the silence was Mr. Joanne, who insisted on us calling him Tito Jo. 

"Are you all in the same section together?" He asks. I know that he already knows that we are all in different academic strands but I appreciate the attempt at small talk.

"No, sir," Linds answers, her voice quivering a bit. "Athena, Ian and I are all taking STEM strand but we're not in the same section. While Connor is taking ABM."