Lost in her thoughts, Charis wrestled with conflicting emotions, unsure of the best course of action. All she knew was that she longed for the sense of connection and understanding she shared with Cole, and she hoped that in time, they would find their way back to each other, stronger and more resilient than before.

As Charis reflected on her own journey of recovery and compared it to Cole's, she couldn't help but feel a twinge of frustration. It seemed like a futile exercise, comparing their injuries and the subsequent impact on their lives. After all, how could one measure pain and suffering in such concrete terms?

Charis acknowledged that, outwardly, her injuries may have appeared more severe than Cole's. With a metal rod in her leg, she bore a visible reminder of the accident that had altered her life. Yet, beneath the surface, she grappled with her own silent struggles, the constant ache and discomfort that lingered despite her efforts to mask them with medication.

In contrast, Cole wore his pain like a badge of honor, his knee injury serving as a constant reminder of his perceived failure. He sought solace in sharing his struggles with others, yet simultaneously pushed them away, craving both attention and isolation in equal measure.

Charis had grown weary of Cole's self-destructive behavior, his refusal to confront his demons and move forward. She refused to be dragged down by his negativity, determined to focus on her own healing journey and reclaiming her sense of self.

While she empathized with Cole's pain, she knew that she couldn't allow his turmoil to dictate her own path. She would stand strong in the face of adversity, finding strength in her resilience and determination to overcome whatever obstacles lay in her way.

As Charis dressed for the rodeo, she carefully selected each piece of clothing, ensuring she felt both comfortable and confident. Wrangler jeans hugged her legs snugly, a nod to the rugged authenticity of the Western lifestyle she embraced. Slipping into her worn-in boots, she felt a sense of familiarity and grounding, as if each step carried her closer to her roots.

Choosing a white graphic shirt, Charis added a touch of her own personal style to the ensemble. The shirt bore a design that spoke to her love of adventure and freedom, reflecting the spirit of the open road and endless horizons.

With her attire complete, Charis added a finishing touch—a trucker cap perched atop her head, shielding her eyes from the glare of the sun and adding a hint of vintage charm to her look. Sitting on her bed, she glanced at her phone once more, a silent plea for connection and reassurance.

As she waited for her dad to arrive in the truck, Charis slipped on a light jacket and plugged in her earbuds. With the opening chords of "Voodoo Child" by Jimi Hendrix filling her ears, she felt a surge of energy and determination course through her veins. The electrifying guitar riffs seemed to mirror the anticipation building within her, setting the stage for a day of excitement and possibility at the rodeo.

She hadn't bothered to check the chronological order of the events, secretly hoping she had missed Alex's competition. It wasn't that she didn't support him—she did—but she couldn't shake the feeling of discomfort that arose whenever she witnessed his insecurities on full display.

Deep down, Charis knew she was being somewhat childish in her avoidance. After all, Alex's passion for rodeo was genuine, and he deserved her encouragement like anyone else. Yet, she couldn't deny the frustration that simmered within her, a frustration born from his tendency to project his insecurities onto those around him.

It wasn't easy dealing with someone who constantly felt the need to prove themselves, especially when their actions bordered on arrogance. Charis understood the weight of insecurity all too well, but she also recognized the importance of confronting it head-on rather than deflecting it onto others.