02| EVERYTHING'S FINE

COLE RETURNED HOME THAT DAY with a persistent thought nagging at him—the choices he had made throughout the day. Had he truly ignored her without a greeting or a wish for a good day? It bothered him. Before going to sleep, he noticed his mother sitting on a bar stool, sorting through papers. He was about to start walking up the stairs but he stopped after the first two.

Taking a step back down, he spoke up, "Mom?"

Katherine turned to him with a smile, hiding the worry that had been there just a second before. "Yes, honey?"

"Charis came to school today," he informed her, wiping his hands at the hem of his shirt.

"Danny told me, yeah," she replied, her response revealing that information had already circulated through the family. She wondered how long it would take him to tell her. Cole's unease lingered as he considered the impact of his actions on Charis.

"I really think you should talk to her," Katherine told him quietly. He knew she was right but what do you say when you're on the other end of things? "Hey, I'm sorry for vanishing and not contacting you again, and sorry for your shitty leg!" I think not.

Whenever Katherine heard her name mentioned, a subtle smile graced her face. She held a deep affection for Charis, understanding that life had dealt the young girl a cruel hand. The series of losses—Charis's mother, Bianca Duncan, followed by her brother Aster, and then the devastating accident that befell Charis—had left a lasting imprint on the Duncan family.

The connection between Katherine and the Duncans extended beyond human relationships. When Charis's horse, Malory, arrived at the clinic, Katherine immediately recognized the suffering animal. Sadly, there was nothing that could be done to subside Malory's pain. In a moment of heart-wrenching decision, Katherine called Austin, who, despite being en route to the hospital for Charis's emergency surgery, advised putting the horse to rest, acknowledging that it was "for the best."

Charis and Malory had been trotting along a horse pathway, a route restricted for cars but, unfortunately, a truck ignored the prohibition and sped through. Coming from the opposite direction, the truck collided with them. The impact not only ran over Malory but also struck Charis's leg, propelling her into a ditch. The force of the collision wreaked havoc—her ribs were injured, her shoulder dislocated, and she suffered a concussion.

Lying there in the aftermath, time seemed to stretch into what felt like centuries for Charis. She couldn't help but wonder if this was the view her brother Aster had seen before his fatal accident in a ditch. The driver of the truck also suffered injuries, including a broken jaw and sprained wrists. After his recovery, he faced legal charges, but Charis chose to remain in the dark about his fate and identity, unwilling to confront the details of the person responsible for the traumatic incident.

Later that night, George and Katherine, accompanied by Will, went to express their condolences to the Duncan family. The shared sorrow and empathy between the families changed their roles as friends and neighbors.

Katherine and George willingly lent a helping hand to Austin and Marilyn, offering to pick up Marilyn for work or school whenever Austin couldn't drive her, especially during Charis's times of need. During Charis's rehabilitation program, Austin devoted most of his nights at the hospital, sleeping on the couch next to her. Nightmares haunted Charis, causing her to wake up screaming, yearning to escape the sterile walls.

The hospital became a symbol of pain for Charis, a place where her mother's life slowly diminished each day until her passing. However, Katherine and George provided comfort, sneaking in delicious food like homemade soup that offered an upgrade from the mundane hospital meals.