Before the accident, Mother had always described Cordelia as the prettier daughter. Looking at Ophelia, she wondered how that could be true. They shared the same hazel eyes, but Ophelia's seemed brighter, like green leaves frosted with glittering ice. Her skin was the color of pale cream, and she wore a light blue dress with white trim. She looked like a winter princess, even in the heat of summer.

Cordelia took a step forward. Her shoe brushed over a clump of rocks, scattering them.

Ophelia tilted her head, scanning the rose bushes until she found her. Ophelia rose in a flourish. "You came," she said. Her eyes raked over what she could see of Cordelia's attire, and her lips pressed into a thin line.

Cordelia gave a soft smile. "I came," she echoed.

"Lia!" Benny exclaimed. He scrambled to his feet and engulfed her in a hug. Her dress muffled his voice as he mumbled, "I knew you would find us."

Cordelia hugged him back. Benny smelled like warm strawberries and fresh rain. "Of course," she said, ruffling his hair. "I'll always find my way back to you two."

Benny wriggled out of her grasp. "Come sit with us," he said, leading her to their faded blanket. Benny waited for her to settle in before nestling against her side. "Cook made comfort scones," he said, nudging the plate toward her. "I ate a couple of them to make sure they tasted good."

"I'd expect nothing less," Cordelia teased, exchanging a knowing look with Ophelia. "What's your verdict on their flavor?"

"They're delicious. We can never let Cook retire," Benny declared, his voice solemn. He stared at the pastries like a preacher at the altar.

"In that case, I understand if you need to eat a few more. To make sure the flavor is consistent," Cordelia said. She winked.

Benny grinned and grabbed another scone.

Ophelia circled closer, eying a spot near the edge of their blanket. Cordelia patted the space beside her and Benny, but Ophelia ignored the invitation. She fluffed out her skirt and sat just beyond their reach.

"It was kind of you to suggest this outing," Cordelia ventured, blinking away the sting of her rejection. "I'm glad we can spend time together. It's a beautiful night for stargazing."

"It is?" Ophelia asked. She wrung her hands, avoiding Cordelia's gaze. "It's been so long since we snuck out; I hardly remember what to do."

"It's a perfect night for stargazing," Benny asserted. He gestured at the open sky. "It's not too cloudy, and the temperature is cool enough that we aren't in danger of overheating. I thought I'd melt when Lia and I went stargazing last week."

"Oh," Ophelia said, glancing between them. "I didn't know you two...."

Benny shrugged. "We come outside as often as we can, although it's easier when Grandfather is around. He lets us stay in the clearing around his weather cabin, and he always points out the constellations."

A bitter expression crossed Ophelia's face. "Of course he does. Grandfather always has time for his prettiest granddaughter and his aspiring astronomer."

Benny flinched. He tucked closer into Cordelia's side, looking between her and Ophelia.

Cordelia tried to catch her sister's eye, but Ophelia developed a sudden interest in the roses. She peeled petals off of the nearest one, removing any with blemishes. She didn't stop until the rose sported a perfect appearance. Then, she moved on to the next flower.

Cordelia sighed. "Ophelia, I don't want to argue about this. Grandfather and I have a connection because of our shared interests. He seeks my help with weather measurements the same way Grandmother used to ask for your opinion on flower arrangements. It's a matter of compatibility. Please don't make it into something it's not."