Chapter 17: The Death

Start from the beginning

"Okay. Okay..." I breath out, shutting my eyes and swallowing hard.

"Think of all the details of the hallway. Think of the smells and how you felt," he tries to explain. I look back at him and nod. I slowly stand up and put the sling ring on my fingers. I turn around and face the crowd. I close my eyes again and focus on my breathing. Once I feel my heartbeat get slower, I start thinking of the hallway at Metro-General. The way it smelt of blood from Stephen's wound and the faint scent of cleaning supplies. I see the gurney and the blue and white walls. I start waving my hands, and I hear a faint crackling sound.

"You did it, y/n!" I hear Stephen yell. I open my eyes and see a portal into Metro-General. I drop my arms. I stare at it in shock. I look behind me and see Stephen picking the Ancient One up in his arms.

"I'm going to stay behind and deal with this crowd," Mordo says to us. Stephen nods.

"Thank you Mordo. You do what you need to," Stephen says. Let's go, y/n," he runs into the portal, and I run in behind him. I turn back around and see the crowd peering in. Their eyes are wide and full of shock and confusion. I quickly raise my hand and close the portal. I turn around and see Stephen placing her on the nearest gurney. I run over to them. "We have to find Christine," he says. I nod. Two male nurses run over to us.

"Doctor Strange? Is that you?" one of them asks that's wearing green scrubs.

"What are you doing here? We haven't seen you in forever," the other one questions that's wearing navy scrubs.

"Joseph. Wally. I don't have time to explain. I need your help. Where is Christine?" Stephen asks quickly. Without hesitation they get around the gurney and start rolling the Ancient Once down the hallway.

"We'll take you to her," the one in green says.

"Follow us," the one in blue states. Dang, they must have a lot of respect for Stephen just to drop everything and help him without asking what's going on. They start running down the hallway with the gurney, and I follow closely behind. As they do one of the nurses puts an oxygen mask on the Ancient One and hooks it up to the tank that is on the gurney.

"Christine!" Stephen yells as we turn the corner. "Christine!" I see a lot of doctors and nurses in the big ER room. I look up to see Christine looking over in horror.

"Oh my God!" she exclaims. She runs over to us in a panic.

"It's not fibrillation. She has a stunned myocardium," Stephen explains as we keep running through the room.

"Neurogenic?" Christine asks.

"Yes," Stephen replies.

"We are going to take her into this operating theater," Christine states as they start rolling her through a pair of double doors. More doctors and nurses are rushing through to help. I start to go through when I feel a strong set of hands on my shoulders stop me. I look up and see Stephen staring down at me. His face is trying to remain calm while his eyes are full of panic.

"Look, you can't come in here. It's an active surgery, and you don't have clearance," he explains.

"No, Stephen. No. You can't leave me," I start, trying to push against him.

"I'm sorry, y/n. You can't come in here," he says again, shaking his head and looking away.

"Stephen, stop!" I scream. My heart feels like it's about to beat out my chest.

"Wally, can you help me out?" he asks the nurse as he walks out of the room.

"Yeah, of course," he responds.