Chapter 18: The Breakdown

Authors Note: I have a Spotify playlist for my book. I will link it here and will put it in the story where I song should be played. I hope you all enjoy that!

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4oedd0QPycR0wIyG9BeTx5?si=ZIeFwtj8TD2x0vAEKU6gRA&app_destination=copy-link
Username: kinsey✨

Playlist Title: pov: you're slowly falling in love with stephen strange

--

"Stephen!" I call out as I get closer to the operating room. I see Wally step through the swinging doors, blocking my path. He seems to be drying his hands on a towel. I come to a stretching halt.

"I knew you would be here," he starts.

"Is she- I need to see Stephen," I say, panting. Wally looks down, sadness is apparent on his face.

"I'm sorry, y/n. She's gone. She was just pronounced dead," he says solemnly. My hand shoots up my mouth to hold in my sobs. I turn away from him and close my eyes to regulate my breathing.

"Are you alright, y/n?" he asks, placing a hand on my shoulder. I turn back and quickly wipe the tears from my eyes. I clear my voice.

"Where- Where is Stephen?" I question, trying to steady my voice.

"He and Doctor Palmer are cleaning up right now. They should be out any second," he answers.

"Okay, okay." I nod my head in understanding.

"Are you good waiting here? I have to go scrub in on another surgery starting in 15 minutes," Wally asks. I look up and give a quick smile.

"Yes, I'm all good. Please, do what you need to do. Thank you, Wally," I reply.

"Of course, y/n." He starts to walk off when he quickly turns back. "I am truly sorry for your loss," he says with sincerity.

"Thank you," I whisper out. He gives a sad smile and walks away.

Doctor Palmer to the ER, please. Doctor Palmer to the ER. I hear over the PA system. Not even 30 seconds later Christine exits the swinging doors. She immediately spots me and walks over. She has a sadness written on her face.

"Y/n, I'm assuming Nurse Renyolds told you," she says quietly. I nod slowly.

"Yes, he did," I respond blankly.

"I'm so sorry. We tried everything. We had the best doctors in the room. We all gave it everything we got." I give a slight smile.

"Thank you, and I know you all did. It was- It was just her time," I respond, thinking of what the Ancient One said to me and Stephen. She nods. "Where is Stephen?" I ask. She looks back towards the door.

"He's still cleaning up. He just needed some more time," she answers.

"Is he...okay?" I question. She looks back with a solemn expression.

"Honestly, I don't know. Stephen, as you probably know, is a hard man to read. But he seems upset. Were they close?" I take a deep breath, my heart hurting.

"Yes, they were very close. Really close" I answer, looking at the doors. Suddenly, I feel her hand on my shoulder. I look at her and there is seriousness in her eyes.

"Look, y/n, I know we don't know each other very well, and you may not want to get to know me, and that's totally fine. I get it. But I have been friends with Stephen for a long time, and little more than friends for a little. I-" She looks off and then back to me. "I can tell when Stephen has feelings for someone and it's obvious, he feels something towards you, and you have some towards him. Please, stay with him and help him. He's going to need someone. I don't want to repeat what happened after the accident..." she trails off. My face burns red with the accusation of feelings, but a million questions pop into my head. What does she mean by what happened after the accident?