Chapter 18: A Letter from Home

There were some days of upheaval at court after it was revealed that Lynette had killed Lord Sutton. Daniela did not let all of the details of the affair and blackmail become public knowledge, but the arrest could not be kept quiet.

Lynette's parents moved into the castle so they could visit with their daughter, but she refused to see them even once. It was awful to see them so confused and heartbroken. To make it worse, the Adelberts were shunned by the other noble families; some even petitioned for their title of Viscount to be stripped. Fortunately, that could not be done without the king's consent, and the council was able to keep most of the nobles calm.

If only the war in the north could end, then everything would be as it should be. Daniela was looking forward to a little peace. She was also looking forward to seeing Charles face to face again. The way he wrote in his letters had so much more warmth than before. It felt like he was looking forward to seeing her, too.

Daniela had written to her old maid Gianna some weeks ago, but had long forgotten about it in all the excitement. Finally, she received an unexpected reply.

My dear lady,

How wonderful it was to receive a letter from you! Who would ever think that the queen of a whole country would write to little me! At first I thought it was not possible, that it was a joke of some kind. But you always were the sweetest little thing, I should not be surprised that you remembered me!

I am married now and have a little girl of my own. Little Bella is so different from how you were as a little one, but I know you would love her. She is the chattiest little thing; I do not know who she got it from!

You were so generous to offer me a position there, although you see, my family is very well settled here. Still, it was ever so kind.

I work now in the guest chambers of the castle. It is a little easier than always being with the royal family, although you were the best mistress I ever worked for.

I have heard so many rumors about you and about Aramdeau lately. That Lord being murdered must have been so frightening! I hope you were in no danger. And to think it was done by a young lady! You must tell me it is untrue. It is too unbelievable!

It is very odd; Prince Frederico seems most distracted by it. I overheard him saying the strangest thing: "Foolish harlot! I knew she couldn't get it done properly!" Forgive me for writing such language, my lady, you know how sharp your brother's tongue can be. Goodness knows what he means half the time. I am so glad you are not alike.

Here I go, gossiping like a hen again. Never you mind all this silly talk. As long as you are safe, then all is well.

If you write again, you must tell me about how it is to be married to the king. The prince's servants all said that the king is quite handsome and you two look very well together.

All my love,

Gianna

Daniela was thrilled to hear from dear Gianna, but her smile dropped as she read. Why should Frederico be concerned at all by Lord Sutton's death? Daniela desperately wanted it to mean nothing, but she knew in her heart that was not true. Prince Frederico was involved. It must be so.

More and more, Daniela had been thinking that it didn't make any sense for Lynette to throw her life away by committing such a crime. She was much too smart for that. And if things were how she said, surely she could have come up with a way to explain the earring and the knife. At first Daniela had thought she must be protecting the duke, but she did not seem to regard him highly, let alone love him. Why did she confess?