Prologue

Amour's pulse quickened as she drove over the Wickery bridge to her hometown. It was the second time in two years she'd even stepped foot in the place. The first was less than two months ago, for her sister's graduation. Her Grams had died almost two years ago but she'd been unable to come to the funeral. Instead she'd stayed at her school, Brown University, and was comforted by said boyfriend and fellow witch, Jake Armstrong.

There she was, back again driving through a hot Virginia July into her least favorite place. But she had to come back. She needed to talk to her sister. She knew that they weren't always the closest but her and Bonnie had been getting better.

She went to their father's house. He also wasn't answering but that was not completely unusual even recently. He wasn't there and neither was Bonnie. The place looked like no one lived there and smelled stale. Bonnie obviously hadn't been living there.

Grams' house was worse. There was extremely spoiled food in the fridge. Bonnie had obviously been living there but not for a long time. Amour shook her head, so confused. Magic was her next step so she headed to the person she knew was best at it.

In a nearby mountain, there was a cabin with a brand new owner. Amour pulled right in front of the house. She went inside the unlocked door without knocking. There was a honey brown skinned woman inside sitting on the floor cross legged, in front of a steaming cauldron. "Hey Qet, I know you've been sneaking about town. You seen Bons? She isn't answering."

"Oh yeah, because she's dead," Qetsiyah, Amour and Bonnie's ancestor said without looking up. Amour's heart dropped and she fell back, luckily hitting near a chair and lowering herself into it.

"What?" she asked in a choked breath as tears fell. Then she got angry, "You knew? When I helped you, did you know?"

"I did, but it's easily solved," Qetsiyah said with a shrug.

"Oh, easy is it? So solve it now. Bring her back!" Amour stood and stormed toward Qetsiyah even though she could do nothing against her. Not just because she respected her ancestors but also because Qetsiyah had more power than Amour had ever felt before.

"It is all a part of the plan. But Silas must die first. And you will help me kill him. I am almost done with the cure."

"What?"

"Oh please, it is easy to make if you know the ingredients and I do."

"I don't care about Silas. I just want Bonnie back. She is my baby sister. Why didn't you tell me?"

"I feared overreaction. I am glad I had no siblings."

"Fuck you, Qet." The woman shrugged again.

"You can always go ask her friends to help you." If looks could kill they would have.

"Let's get Silas."

With Qetsiyah's help and strength she didn't know she had, the two Bennett witches overpowered Silas. Qetsiyah used her magic to hold him in place while Amour shoved the cure down his throat. Then they quartered his body together. It was quick work but they were powerful witches.

They returned to the cabin and Qetsiyah summoned Bonnie's body. AMour watched as Qet waved and the rot went away. Then suddenly Bonnie gasped for air. Amour dropped to the floor and hugged her tightly, not even caring about the rot smell that lingered. "Amour, I can't breathe."

"Why didn't you call me?" she asked as she let her go. Qetsiyah grabbed her bag and walked towards the door.

"I'll be off. Do not be here when I get back."

"Who is she?" Bonnie asked, "What happened? Why was I dead?"

"What do you remember?" Amour asked curiously then got up quickly and rushed to the door to yell at a running Qetsiyah, "What did you do?" Qetsiyah winked and Amour looked back to a nervous Bonnie. Amour took a deep breath then tried to explain, "You died sometime right before or after graduation. Actually it had to be before. I should've known something was wrong when you wouldn't hug me or Dad."