It's not his fault

Start from the beginning

Calliope sat in the garden after they got back from Magnus’s apartment, after Jace was arrested, after Alec was returned to the institute for check up. The events that happened at Magnus’s remained unspoken of, nor talked about which she definitely preferred. She was tempted to lock herself in her room again until Lydia decided that now was the time for her to leave New York. Only this time it didn’t look likely in such short notice after the damage Jace had made when he left with Valentine. Unless Valentine was caught, she wouldn’t leave just yet. 

“Thought I’d find you here.” Calliope looks up from her stele to see Isabelle standing across from her, her hands behind her back with a certain look on her face that made her curious on what her friend was hiding from her. “Clary has been looking everywhere for you,” she tells her. 

“What is that?,” Calliope quickly stands up, trying to catch a glimpse of what Isabelle had behind her. “Isabelle,” she pointedly looks at the raven haired friend of hers. 

“Be patient, young one,” Isabelle grinned, pulling out the object from behind her revealing a small box. “I thought I’d want to give you this,” she tells her. 

Opening the box, Calliope stared in awe. Inside was a white snake bracelet, much like Isabelle’s whip. “Oh Izzy,” Calliope gasped, turning to her friend who had a large grin on her face. 

“Don't get too excited, it's a short weapon. It's not as long as a staff or a swallow, but it packs a punch and is stylish,” Isabelle explained, taking out the bracelet, putting it on Calliope's wrist. “I heard from Lydia that you're waiting for a reinstatement in Idris with little possibility of you returning to New York.” 

Calliope chuckles, “If this is a parting gift, I’d like to return it,” she tells Isabelle. 

“It's not, just something to have you remember me,” Isabelle explained, shaking her head with a fond smile on her bold red lips. 

“Who could forget the only shadowhunter I know who's been kicking demon ass in New York on 5 inch heels?” Calliope grinned, causing Isabelle to laugh at her words. 

“I’m so going to miss you,” Isabelle frowned, eyes now glassy. “You’ve done so much for our family, for Alec,” Isabelle paused, quickly wiping a stray tear from her face. 

“I’m not leaving just yet, Iz,” Calliope assured her. “And I’m sure I’ll be back soon.” 

“Hopefully,” Isabelle nods. “And by then, I hope Alec comes to his senses and finally asks you out on a date.” 

“That won't happen,” Calliope shakes her head, making Isabelle frown. 

“And why not?” Isabelle asked, now following Calliope out the garden who seemed to want nothing more but to escape Isabelle’s questions. “I know Alec is an idiot when it comes to these things, but why the hesitation? You both clearly care about each other.” 

“Even if he doesn't trust me?” Calliope turns to Isabelle who frowned at the brunette's question. 

“Alec trusts you, Calli.” 

Calliope falls silent, “if you say so, Iz.” 

“I know so,” Isabelle grinned wider, hooking her arms around Calliope's, “now let's get you some hot chocolate.” 

Calliope let's out a wide smile, “you know what? Why don't I date you instead?” She joked, as she secured Izzy’s arm around hers. 

“If Alec doesn't start dating you soon, sure,” Isabelle winks, causing Calliope to laugh as they both made their wah towards the kitchen.