chapter five - a virgin's mistake

Começar do início

He walked away from the candle, still holding the lighter. "So let"s light the sucker and meet the old broads." He smirked.

Dani shook her head, not agreeing with his plan.

"Wanna do the honors?" He asked Allison, ignoring his sister's disapproval.

"No, thanks."

He looked at me. "Liz?"

"No, I happen to love my life." I refused.

I could see in his eyes that he was going to do it, but before I could stop him, someone else did. Or should I say, something else. Out of nowhere, a black cat jumped of a counter to Max's back, scaring the rest of us. Allison held Dani while I ran into him.

Max fell on the floor and I took the chance to grab the cat off of him, but it slipped out of my hands and ran away somewhere else.

"Stupid cat!" Max held my hand and I helped him get up.

I looked at Dani, who was holding Allison's arm like her life depended on it and that's when I decided that we had seen enough. "Okay, Max, you've had your fun. It's time to go."

Allison held Dani's hand and walked her to the door as I walked behind them but we stopped once we realized that Max was standing there, still looking at the Black Flame Candle. We could all see in his eyes what he wanted to do.

"Max, she's right. Let's go." Allison demanded, but he didn't seem to hear her.

I walked towards him and the candle, starting to feel frustrated. "Max, you know those characters in scary movies that make dumb decisions and makes us want to yell at our screens? That's what I'm feeling right now."

"Come on, it's just a bunch of hocus pocus." He shook his shoulders. That just made me wish that I had just left the cat finish the job.

"Max, I'm not kidding this time. It's time to go." Dani demanded, but she was obviously ignored.

Max just rolled his eyes and lit the lighter.

"Max, don't!" I grabbed his arm, trying to stop him, but it was too late. The candle was lit.

The light of the candle went from being orange to black until it wasn't there anymore. Dani screamed when each light bulb in the room exploded, leaving us in the darkness. Before that I saw a change in Max's face, of him finally realizing that he fucked up.

The room was silent, with the exception of the presence of a strong wind that felt like it was warning us that something, or someone, was coming. We all exchanged looks with each other. That's where I noticed that I was holding Max's arm very tightly, but in that moment neither of us really cared about that.

Max looked at me and I could see that he wanted to leave, but before he could say anything, the ground started shaking, and the room was illuminated with a green light.

I wanted to run towards Allison and Dani who were both on the other side of the place, screaming in fear, but the little earthquake or whatever that was, was stopping me from moving. Still holding onto Max's arm, he hugged me tightly trying to keep us from falling.

All of a sudden the shaking stopped and the light faded. We all looked at each other, holding our breaths, still not sure of what just happened.

Sometimes I would have trouble breathing when I felt overwhelmed but it was usually over school stuff. Now imagine how I was feeling at the moment.

Max seemed to notice, because he didn't let go of me, even now. "Are you okay?" He asked. "What happened?"

We all looked at him, in disbelief and surprised with his stupidity.

"A virgin lit the candle." Dani took the words right out of our mouths.

As soon as she said that, every light in the room started to light up again, including the fireplace in front of us, making me jump at the intensity of the fire.

I froze when a manic laughter was heard, coming from the outside of the house, sending a shiver down my spine and all of the sudden, the door banged open.

I caught a glimpse of three women before I grabbed Max by his hand and we hid behind the counter. Allison and Dani where also hidden behind the door, while the three women entered the place.

We warned Max to not light that damn candle, but I don't think that any of us was expecting for the Sanderson Sisters to be stooding there in front of us, looking more alive than ever.