017

september 19th, 2019
4:18 pm

"CAM, IT'S GOTTA BE SHARPER

"CAM, IT'S GOTTA BE SHARPER. DO IT AGAIN." Kylah said, her bare feet planted on the wide blue mat in the gymnastics gym, hands placed lazily on her light gray unitard-covered hips and her head tilted a little in concentration, her ponytailed sew-in following the incline of her neck.

While the rest of the girls on the team were practicing the uneven bars and the eggplant-colored balance beams in the corner of the warehouse under the watchful eye of their coach, Kylah and Cameron were off to the side of the gym, attempting to perfect her routine finally.

Cameron groaned before dropping dramatically to the mat, her light brown curls supporting her head, "Ky, you're killing me. Do you know how hard it is to a front tuck sharply? We all can't be you, ya know!"

Kylah dropped her head forward to look at her light pink-painted toes with a laugh, "You're a great gymnast. You are going to get this."

"I'm going to get this when pigs start flying. Can you just do it? You know coach is going to pick you anyway." Cameron sat up and rested her elbows on her knees.

"Or you could show him how quickly you got this routine down and he could pick you for mat," Kylah smiled. Cameron rolled her eyes a little before finally rising to her feet, "Can you just show me how it's supposed to be done one more time?"

Kylah sighed but backed up to the beginning of the mat and then waited a moment for her friend to waddle off to the side before taking a deep breath and starting the routine with a short run. As she propelled herself through the air, Kylah tightened her muscles to sharpen her movements and her feet hit the padded mat hard, creating rhythmic booms that she knew she was going to feel later.

Kylah finished her dance routine with a signature arm flourish, then turned around to face the silent gym, pausing in her tracks. Every girl on the team had essentially ceased the various practicing they were doing and instead nosily stared at where Kylah's father, Thomas was standing by the door.

"Aint't that ya Dad?" Destiny asked as she paced up to where Kylah was still standing on the blue mat.

Kylah cleared her throat, "Uh, Cam!" She waved her friend over and pretended she didn't notice the annoyed look Cameron gave at the sight of Destiny standing so close, "Can you run practice for a bit? Just like ten minutes?"

"Hold up," Destiny raised her hand in opposition, "I have seniority over her. I'll run it."

"No, I got it." Cameron clapped her hands once and boisterously and everyone's attention turned to the trio on the mat. Kylah quickly walked over to her father, her ponytail swishing back and forth across her neck.