Tip 11: forgive does not mean forget

During our dating period, and at the beginning of our marriage, before Clara's birth, I was the lovey-dovey part of our couple, planning dates, remembering birthdays, calling every now and then

During our dating period, and at the beginning of our marriage, before Clara's birth, I was the lovey-dovey part of our couple, planning dates, remembering birthdays, calling every now and then... And I didn't care, as long as he loved me. I mean, come on! That fabulous man loved me! Of course, I would try hard to keep him by my side. He was, indeed, a good catch!

We've been together for more than eight years now, and I've received in total four flowers. The first on our first date, the second for his proposal, the third when I got pregnant. And tonight, Samuel was standing in front of me, neatly dressed in a white long sleeved shirt, black pants and white sneakers, a red rose in his hand and a bright smile on his face.

He was gorgeous. Really. But this time, I saw him with a black and white filter. The usual glow that surrounded him and made me lose my senses was gone. Had it slowly faded away over the past weeks, or did today's events blow out the flame?

"Evening, babe!" he gave me the flower. "This flower is not as pretty as you, but please accept it as a small expression of my love for you."

Samuel had never needed to do anything to get my love and attention. His simple breathing was enough to keep me head over heels for him. I, on the other side, had always been so cheesy, going through the net and sending him cringe love quotes occasionally.

"Aren't we too old for these things?" he once texted me back with a laughing emoji.

But here he was, years later, doing something similar. I smiled and took the flower before letting him in. He looked around, as if he was coming here for the first time.

"Is she asleep already?" he checked Clara's playing fence before coming back to me.

"She fell asleep a few hours ago. I will have to wake her up to feed her and give her a bath."

"Okay... And what were you doing? Have you eaten already? What about we go get something nice tonight? We could go to Le Patio and..."

"Samuel," I cut him off as I put the flower down on the coffee table. I had to tell him it was no need. But when I looked at him, and saw his hopeful eyes, I couldn't. "Clara is sleeping, we cannot take her out, nor can we let her alone at home."

"Oh!" he seemed disappointed. "Of course, yes! How inconsiderate of me... Of course, we cannot go out right now."

I nodded with a sorry smile. I looked at our wedding picture, and felt my heartache. We were so beautiful, the wedding was sumptuous... All that to meet such an end? How pointless.

"What do you want to eat?" his face suddenly lightened up. "I'll make it for you."

Picturing Samuel cooking made me smile. Not that he could not cook, but I didn't know if he would be able to make something enjoyable. Meat could be under seasoned, rice overcooked, the sauce too liquid... Edible, but not enjoyable.